Question for 120gb Macbook users

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by asdfTT123, Nov 5, 2007.

1. asdfTT123 macrumors regular

I'm trying very hard to decide between the midranged Macbook vs the Blackbook. For those who own the 120gb Midrange, do you feel the HD capacity is enough for all of your stuff? What programs or other OSes do you load on your Macbook along with music + video + other multimedia and how much space do you have remaining? Personally, I want to avoid upgrading the HD later on down the line. I personally would like to load WinXP with bootcamp for times that I may need a Microsoft OS...how much of a partition should be enough? Thanks.

2. azulchica macrumors newbie

you could always order the upgrade to the 160gb drive on the white one

3. asdfTT123 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah that's true, but I figured if I wanted 160gb I could just spring for the Blackbook...it all depends on if the 120gb is enough.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

As much as I love getting stock hardware from Apple, $67 education for 40 GB of space isn't that bad. :rolleyes:

5. czeluff macrumors 6502

160 would be nice

This is a decision people can help you decide, but in the end it's really based on your own usage.

I have a Macbook Pro with the 120gb hard drive in it. It's running a 30gb XP Partition, a 6gb virtual drive (Debian if you must know), the Apple Developer tools, and then the main apps that I like...and I still have about 45gb free.

HOWEVER, i'm a student and i tote everything around in a backpack. I carry a 120gb external drives that I keep all of my movies, tv shows, and ISOs on. It has about 60gb free.

So really the question you need to ask yourself, is "how portable is your laptop really going to be?" If you only want to carry the laptop (not the charger) and nothing else, you should opt for the larger 160gb and get the Blackbook (besides it looks way better than the white anyways). If you're planning on carrying the laptop along with the charger inside of a backpack or something, then maybe the cheaper 120gb Macbook would be a nice way to save some bucks. Then, if absolutely needed, grab a portable external hard drive for large files...you'll still be less than the cost of a Blackbook.

My decision? Blackbook. Why? It's just too cool, you obviously have the money to spend on it anyways, and now you won't ever worry about running out of space. Your mind will be at ease :)

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Black is nice and the upgrade to 160 GB for the midrange isn't that bad.

If you're going over 160 GB get a drive off of NewEgg. 250 GB runs ~$170-180.

7. Victor ch macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

Hi,

I have the BlackBook but it came with 120GB HDD (rev. B) and I have 16.5GB of itunes stuff, 4GB of pics, 9GB of Apps and Final Cut express (just soundtrack + loops 6gb) some other stuff and have 61.24GB free. I removed all languages except Spanish and English (saved me 3gb) and im upgrading to leopard in the next few days; my bottom line is that 120GB is enough at least for "regular" use, nevertheless 160GB is always good, if your willing to spend +$ on the 40GB more you might as well pay 49$ more and go for the black one. As for windows 10-15 gb should be more than enough if your plans are to use an app or something that is not supported by a mac. Hope this helped.

-Victor

8. jsfpa macrumors regular

jsfpa

If you go with the mid range unit you can always upgrade the Hard drive if/when you out grow it. It is incredibly easy to swap out a drive on the MacBook.

9. astudentis macrumors regular

take my advice, if you plan to keep you computer for a while i would go for the black one (thats what i did)... if you look at many display macbooks at stores (or even at some of my friend's white macbooks), they get dirty very very quickly, the pad gets dirty, the palm rest get decoloured... etc, on the other had the black macbook is quite nice with its matte black, but a slight problems with finger oil might cause shinyness of the case/ keys, which is less minor than the decolouration of the white ones.
    Heads up!

10. eman macrumors 6502a

Buy the white macbook and order the 160Gig Hd off Ebay (unless you just love black). I bought a used 160 Gig for $70 on Ebay and then sold my old 80Gig on Ebay for $30.
    The upgrade cost me $40. The used WD 160Gig HD is still going strong. Take about 10 minutes to put the HD in.

11. eman macrumors 6502a

The new white topcase/keypads do not discolor like the old ones. Both colors (black and white) will show finger prints. If you order a black Macbook, all your going to get is a bigger HD and the color black (of course).

12. astudentis macrumors regular

when you say new, are u talking about the newly upgraded ones (with the GMA X3100?), because the white macbook that i observed are the ones from this summer (my friend had ordered it for the education discount+ipod this summer)...(and it looks quite discoloured now.. in like 4months) and from what i know so far, all they did with this revision was that they changed to santa rosa set and no changes were made to the cases in terms of material...

13. eman macrumors 6502a

The old track pads were snow white and discolored badly. The new track pads are almost a light gray color and I have had no problems with these track pads.

14. 66217 Guest

Well, it completely depends on your uses.

I have a Black MB with 120GB and I am thinking of changing it for a 200GB one, but that's because I have an Aperture library of about 30GB, Final Cut Express (which eats a lot of space), some movies I have made and a large music library.

So, it really depends on your uses. The worst that can happen is that later on you change it for a larger one and keep the old one as an external.:)

15. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

16. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

I ended up buying a 200GB drive. At the time, mind you, the MacBook was my only Mac.

17. sanford macrumors 65816

I bought an original MacBook with a 60GB at a retail Apple Store -- the higher end white one. Upgraded RAM almost immediately and then to a 120GB drive, easily installed myself and I'm no technician, within a month. About 110GB usable capacity. Running Leopard now. I keep about 25GB of media, mostly ripped CDs and iTunes Store music purchases, a bit of video optimized for an iPhone. I'm a writer so my work files are very small; and I use Mellel as my word processor, also small unlike typical office suites. But I need Photoshop once in a while, so it and all its support files are there. Also about 6GB of high-res photos in iPhoto, plus some video clips; but we have small kids so that increases fairly often.

No Windows OS. Various other bits and pieces as needed, though they tend to hang around. Most of my past work, dating back almost two decades, is on the MacBook drive as well as backed up, but again weighing about 400 hundred MB, not GB. 2GB of RAM so the maximum disk usage for RAM. I tend to have a GB or two over 50GB free space at all times.

If you're a regular-issue student, writer, or general email/web user, 120GB is plenty. Any kind of typical business professional, also attorneys or physicians, fine. But if you work with lots of Web design, photo or video editing, even graphic design, you probably want 160GB. Or if you have a large CD collection, as I do, but you also want to keep the whole collection on your MacBook. Or you rip many of your DVD movies to your MacBook and leave them there, not move them off to some sort of external storage when you don't want them with you.