Question for 16GB New iPad Owners

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Techwriter, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Techwriter macrumors regular

I'm sorry. I know this question has been asked and answered. I did search for it. I just couldn't find it.

When you opened your new iPad 16GB unit how many GBs were available for use and how many were used for iOS? For example, of the 16GB, did you have about 12GB free?

My iPod Touch uses about 5GB for the OS. Does the new iPad use about 7GB?

I originally purchased the 64GB unit which was overkill for me as ebooks don't require hardly any space and my apps are all small. It has some issues so I returned it yesterday but plan to repurchase later this year.

My 64GB iPod Touch always has about 30+GB free. I'm just wondering whether to buy the 32GB iPad or whether I can get by with the 16GB iPad.

Thanks in advance!

2. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

just curious how you think going from a 16gb capacity to 12gb of free space equates to a 7gb OS??? ;)

3. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

You get 13.4GB for yourself. The rest is used for IOS.

4. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

16gig is good for my needs, so it must be good for you as well.

5. Angelus macrumors 6502

Yeah it's 13.4GB as pointed out previously. Only you know if you can get by with the 16GB. My 1st gen iPad was the 64GB 3G version and to be honest I filled it to the brim with photos, music and movies simply because i could. It couldn't replace my laptop so about 6 months ago I gave it to my mum. The ONLY thing I missed was reading magazines and ebooks.

I've recently acquired the 3rd gen iPad 16GB wifi and I bought it for the sole purpose of couch surfing, reading ebooks, magazines and medical textbooks. I've loaded it up with all of the above and I have about 11GB free. I have an apple tv and itunes match so i dont need music on it at home. Ditto for movies. Id much rather watch my blu-rays. However, when i do need to travel 11GB or so leaves plenty of room for music and movies. I think you can easily "get by" with a 16GB. Just be realistic about its intended uses.

6. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I am getting by with a 16gb too. Though I really want a 32gb to be "safe" but even as of right now I have 1.9gb free with 74 apps, 16 videos (only 1 HD), 246 photos and no music (because I also have an iPhone)

7. Techwriter thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you so much for all the input. I appreciate this forum!

I also have the new Apple TV and DVDs for movies, iPod Touch for audio, and a one year old PC and 13" macbook air for my job computer needs.

Like mentioned above, this device is mainly for consumption and fun. I use it for web surfing, checking email, reading ebooks, streaming TV shows when I miss them. I don't store photos, very little video. That's it.

I work out of the house. I can manage the data on it all day long if I'd like. I only travel perhaps once or twice a year. Therefore, Wifi is fine, and although it doesn't seem like a lot, 13GB is probably sufficient for my needs.

8. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

I put 11GB of Music on mine straight away so i'm on a budget already :p