Question for 1password users

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jetjaguar, Oct 9, 2015.

1. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

So I finally decided to use 1password (bought it a long time ago). So I am currently generating different passwords for all the sites I use and I was wondering is it better to use words or random for the password generator? Currently I am using random and have it set at 14 character length. Which do you guys use?

2. Pyrotechnic macrumors 6502

Pyrotechnic

I use 14 random also. I also use a mix of numbers letters and symbols. The beauty of the app is that you no longer need to remember any of the passwords as they are pasted directly into the log in forms as required. There are the odd ones i have set up manually that I need to remember when I don't have my devices with me.

Its probably the most used and best app I have ever bought. I don't think I could do without it to be honest. ;)

3. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

Thanks for the reply .. I use a mix of numbers and letters but didn't add in symbols but maybe I should. The only thing I fear about putting my info in there is if 1passwords gets a security breach.

4. Pyrotechnic macrumors 6502

Pyrotechnic

I think its as secure as it can be. Nothing is 100% unless you can remember them all in your head. The file is either stored locally on your machine or in the cloud which is where the risk lies I guess. !Password does say that all the DB are encrypted so as I say, I think its the best option and I know of no better way. ;)

5. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

A lot of people use Lastpass and wasn't their database hacked? Just a worrier I guess. I normally kept everything in my head but they were not complex passwords which I decided it is time to use.

6. chscag macrumors 68000

1Password is as good as it gets. A bit expensive to buy at first but well worth it. I like to use phrases that only I know but random alpha numeric character generated passwords are likewise good.

7. glutenenvy macrumors regular

glutenenvy

Here is the short version.

It is not going to matter if you fail to regularly change passwords. The people cracking the account may not be the people using that account.

Dictionary words and common passwords will fail first. Then all lower case and all upper case passwords will fail, and so on until you get to passwords with upper, lower, number, and punctuation, which will also eventually fail but will take the longest time to fail. Also, investigators will feed personal information into the dictionary attack.

If you are using 1password to store your passwords instead of your brain then yes, random is better. If you do not trust the generator to be random, change a few of the characters.

If you have two-factor available for at least financials, you should definitely enable it to reduce brute force effectiveness. Treat recovery questions as passwords too.

8. dangerfish macrumors 6502

1P is the best. Been using it for years. Use randomly generated. No reason to try and make it up on your own. The 1P database is encrypted and not stored with AgileBits so a security breach with the company would have no affect on your passwords. I guess they could steal your credit card info though if the hacked Agile Bits.

9. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Password generator and whatever maximum length the given site supports.

They don't store your vault.