Question for 2011 MBP owners who use external displays

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by loudguitars, Mar 19, 2011.

1. loudguitars macrumors member

The question is: When you unplug the AC power from the computer while it is connected, closed, to the display, does the computer immediately go to sleep?

I know it does this on older models like the one I have because there wasn't enough power from the battery to run the DVI out. It'd be real nice to know if Thunderbolt didn't require insta-sleep when not connected to AC power.

I ask because my cat recently discovered he can unplug the MagSafe connection on my aging MBP (and thereby cause me a great deal of attention-generating consternation) with a good solid paw-whack a few inches down the cord. I'd love to know if the newer model I'm about to upgrade to has this same problem. It's actually easier to solve on the newer models since all the ports are on the same side and I can just basically put it in my desk backwards so he can't get to it, but I'd love to know before I rearrange everything.

2. Koning macrumors member

Well it's not really the case that the MBP can't power the external monitor on it's battery, but it ASSUMES you want it to turn to sleep when you don't have it attached to the power cord. You can use the external screen in a dual screen setup without the power cord, but you can't close the lid.

3. advan031 macrumors 6502

Lol yeah I forgot it does this when I got my 2011 thus week...I thought I was having sleep issues

4. loudguitars thread starter macrumors member

Okay, well, good to know.

I really wish it popped up a "your computer will sleep in 60 seconds unless you plug back in" dialog the way it does when you tell it to shut down instead of immediately going to sleep. It'd sure save me a lot of hassle when my cat pulls this trick while I'm working on a paper. :p

5. acunit86 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Get rid of the cat. /thread

6. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Aww, be nice. They make great Lo Mein

7. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

yup. Just an assumption that you wanna go to sleep.

You might be able to change this behavior with InsomniaX BUT I dunno if it supports 2011 machines.

8. loudguitars thread starter macrumors member

I'm surprised it took that long for someone to suggest getting rid of the cat. Believe me, some days I'm tempted, but he knows exactly when he's pushed it too far and then is incredibly sweet for days. He's a smart little booger.

And I've used InsomniaX on my current laptop, but it caused some issues and I had to uninstall. It's too bad it hasn't been updated in several years.