Question for 6 Plus owners...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by schmidt65, Nov 6, 2014.

1. schmidt65 macrumors 6502

Hi, I have an iPhone 6 and an iPad mini 3. I currently have an iPhone 6 Plus (through work) and I'm trying to see if it can replace both devices. Currently I'm finding the 6 Plus too unwieldy to use easily, but I can probably deal with that in time - however one thing that's frustrating me is that all websites on the 6 Plus open as mobile pages by default (I.e. Same as iPhone pages), whereas the iPad mini defaults to opening webpages in standard view. Obviously I can tap the 'Request desktop page' option (although this regularly doesn't work), but even if I do when I load the page a little later it defaults back to iPhone view.

Is this normal, and if so is there a way round it? If it's always going to default the webpage view to an iPhone optimised site then I'll definately stick with the iPad mini!

Thanks

2. skierbri10 macrumors member

Download Mercury browser and set to desktop only.

3. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

I find that even if I do try to use the desktop versions of websites it's not near as comfortable an experience as using the iPad mini. I have no intention of getting rid of mine.

4. iHeartsteve, Nov 6, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2014

iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

I have the 6+ and mini. I'd keep both if you can. The 6+ is the ultimate for portability if you can't bring the mini with. For in depth web or book browsing, the larger screen experience is preferred. I also would want to view desktop view over mobile sites. It seems some sites do not have the option.

5. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

Try a browser that gives you iPad as an user agent option.

6. kioko91 macrumors regular

kioko91

I personally sold my iPad and am going to be selling my Verizon unlocked 128gb iPhone 6 as the plus is just better for me. I barely used my iPad and would tend to turn on my MBP if I needed more screen real estate. Really enjoying this phone, one handed at that!

Tall kid with big hands mentioned he couldn't use it with one hand. Took my tiny 5' self over with my small hands and texted and swapped apps etc with my right hand. Have yet to use reachability. Ultimately you have to try it yourself to see what you can manage and are comfortable with. I didn't think I'd like the phone but I'm really enjoying it thus far.

7. schmidt65 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the replies. I don't really want to use another browser as I use Safari on numerous products (iMac, MacBook Air, iPhone & iPad) and like the iCloud integration and handoff features.

I think I prefer the iPhone 6 & iPad Mini combo so far. The iPhone 6 Plus seems too large for a phone (I can just use one handed, but it's not comfortable!), and too small to replace an iPad (especially if it just loads iPhone web pages, not full webpages). I was hoping it could be used to replace both iPhone & iPad, but doesn't look like it can.

Will see I get on with them anyway!

8. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

I know the Skyfire browser is one that has this option available.

9. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

Mercury also allows you to set your user agent to whatever you want, although it is not yet optimized for the Plus.