Question for 64 gig 3G buyers

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jlyanks85, Mar 16, 2011.

1. jlyanks85, Mar 16, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2011

jlyanks85 macrumors 6502a

2. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

Why do people buy BMWs? Why do people buy million dollar houses? Why do people buy 60" 3D TVs?

Why ask why?

If you can afford it, why not spend your hard earned money on what pleases you.

3. gtmac macrumors 6502a

Because they have better jobs than you!

I went 64 wifi and trust me if I wanted another laptop I would get one but I have two good ones already. The iPad is a media consumption toy and will be fun to travel with, for me it's a no brainer!

I will admit the MBA is slick! When you can flip the screen and it becomes a touch device with dual OS X and iOS, sign me up!!!

4. jlyanks85 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Now when you put it that way, I can understand.

5. DizzyV6P macrumors regular

DizzyV6P

Simply because I want the option to be able to access internet in places where I can't get free wi-fi.

I looked at the option of getting a mifi but those all require a 2-year plans whereas the iPad plans don't lock you into a contract.

I have no intention of jailbraking my Verizon iPhone 4 so tethering is not an option for me and I don't want to deal with their $20 tethering plan too.

So I'm basically paying more for the convenience. I already have 3 laptops plus 1 netbook so I don't need another laptop. I'm hoping the iPad and its "reasonably" priced apps will help me with many day to day events such as task management in an easy hand-hold device in addition to serving as an instant-on entertainment device for the kids (Gotta love Phineas and Ferb downloads from iTunes).

6. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Because they can.

I don't understand this question and its logic. Does the MacBook Air base model offer 3G connection? or how about the MacBook Pro?

Maybe some people want the 3G service and would like to have the highest capacity available, whats to understand.

7. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

I bought the 64GB AT&T model for a few reasons:

1. I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan on my iPhone and don't want to lose it due to tethering. I use a TON of data on my iPhone and the thought of having to pay extra isn't pleasant to me. Also, as a previous poster said I'm not going to subject myself to a jailbroken device just so I can tether.
    2. Overseas sim card usage - swap the AT&T card for another provider when traveling. Also helps with resale value when iPad 3 comes out.
    3. GPS - yes, you have gps on the iPhone or via tethering but I like having dedicated gps in the device itself. I don't want to have to drain my iPhone battery in order to get gps data.
    4. Battery life - tethering drains both devices very quickly.
    5. Resale - also mentioned in point 2 - having sold my 64GB 3G iPad 1 for only $50 off purchase price I think I'll get a better sale price than a wifi only version when it comes to upgrading later.

8. haagenman macrumors newbie

64 gb 3g was the last AT&T in the store.

I stood in line on Saturday for a 32gb black AT&T. I was the second person into the store and bought the last AT&T they had. It was worth it.