Question for 8-Core Mac Pro Owners

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by macenforcer, Jun 11, 2007.

1. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

I have been contemplating getting an octo core mac pro but I have been wondering one thing. What is the fan RPMs at idle? Can someone download the iStat Pro widget from apple and let me know? And after you see the idle rpms kick it up and do something intensive and tell us what they reach to please. Dying to know just how different an 8-core is from a Quad. Thanks so much.

2. murfle macrumors regular

I could try it out when I get home, but I also run smcFanControl to bump up the minimum speed the fans spin at, since my 3rd party ram gets a little hotter than the stock modules... And when you say idle, you mean, for example, you've just booted up, have nothing in your startup items, don't launch any apps, and let it run for awhile?

3. macenforcer thread starter macrumors 65816

macenforcer

Yeah, just basically sitting there turned on for a while to see how fast the fans are spinning at. While you are at it can you provide idel temps? Thanks.

4. tribe3 macrumors 6502

Since you started this thread I would like to add a question related but not worth starting a new one.

Is the power supply the same with the quad and the octo? I imagine 8 cores at 3ghz each drawing double the current --which is a lot-- would need a beefier PS.

Thanks

5. Mundy macrumors regular

While your question makes sense, I think it highly unlikely that the Mac Pro Octo has a 2,000+ watt power supply.

6. macenforcer thread starter macrumors 65816

macenforcer

7. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

8-core is quite expensive, and most people who "need" all of that power still are running stuff on their old G5's. Or they upgraded to the new Mac Pro when it first came out.

8. filman408 macrumors regular

idles @ ~500rpm with a temp of ~50C
    see sig for specs

i almost never hear the fans, even when doing heavy duty stuff

9. macenforcer thread starter macrumors 65816

macenforcer

Interesting. My Quad 2.66 idles at 30C with fan rpm at 500 also. Nice to see its quiet.

10. drozdovsky macrumors newbie

just 500 rpm... Wow!
    My MacBook Pro fan rotation speed is 1900-2000 rpm with a temp of ~50C.

11. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

well the fans in there are much larger and an can move much more air at a slower speed. Also I think there are 4 or 5 fans as opposed to 2 in your MBP.

12. filman408 macrumors regular

There are 4 fans.
    CPU
    Exhaust/Memory
    PCIe slots
    PSU

13. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

You got a new Mac Pro? If so, how are you upgrading?

14. Alican macrumors regular

My 8 core mac's cpu fan also idles at 500 rpm. I've just started encoding an .avi file to .mov. After 10 minutes one of the CPUs got to 70 degrees c, and the fan speed ramped up to 660 rpm, where things started to stabilise. (CPU idle time dropping to 65%)

Mind you this is with imovie which doesn't seem to make use of all the power available. But you really can't hear any difference in noise levels. You hardly notice it, just a faint hum

15. macenforcer thread starter macrumors 65816

macenforcer

Nice. Boy, I am itchin to buy but I know that the xeons are dropping in price in July so I think I should wait. Wait another month and I get leopard for free. What to do. Money burning hole in pocket. Common sense says wait, but oh do I want to sit down with my 8 friends and have fun.

Someone talk me out of it. I think I might end up at the apple store in a few hrs to make purchase. STOP ME!

16. macenforcer thread starter macrumors 65816

macenforcer

Screw it. Placed my order.

8-Core Mac pro
    5GB Memory
    1TB HD

Zoom zoom zoom.

17. filman408 macrumors regular

18. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

Nice. Best thing I've seen today. But now the update just got put the day after your return policy happens.

19. macenforcer thread starter macrumors 65816

macenforcer

This would happen too. But I get a few extra days with the greatest computer ever! :D