Question for anyone using Mozy (re: iPhoto backup)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by chriskzoo, Aug 3, 2009.

1. chriskzoo macrumors 6502

I just signed up for Mozy and noticed that because I am using iPhoto 8, my computer packages all the iPhoto files into one file, which Mozy uploads as that single file (15 GB in my case). When I add photos to iPhoto, does anyone know if Mozy will only incrementally backup that iPhoto file, or will it try to re-upload the entire 15GB?

I don't care so much about it being stored as 1 file, since I'll never access it unless it's an emergency, but I sure as heck don't want to wait for a 15+ GB upload (literally days) every time I add photos.

2. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

I've never done this with iPhoto and Mozy, but if you are uploading a single 15GB file, then it will upload the whole file next time if it detects changes to the file. If the file you are talking about is a single folder, then you should be able to set it up to only back up the new photos after the initial backup.

3. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Are you positive its just one single file? Yes you see in finder something that looks like a file (mine is 10GB) that is called 'iPhoto Library' but I think thats just how Mac displays it and there is a file structure under that*. I use something similar to MOzy, Amazon S3, with iPhoto 9 and the uploads are not the entire iPhoto library but large sections of it, if I change a couple of pictures I certainly see from 50 upwards to several hundred Mb being uploaded, but not multiple Gb.

* When I look at my upload log to Amazon after a change , I see what appears to be a file structure under the iPhotoLibrary, with segments of that being uploaded.

4. chriskzoo thread starter macrumors 6502

When I went into the Mozy Restore console, it looks like the typical Mac columned view and shows it as one file - which is how it looks on the Mac too, but on the Mac you can right-click and do "show package contents" to see all the photos. Within the Mozy console, it doesn't look like you can do this.

However, as the initial upload was running, I seem to remember seeing individual picture files being uploaded, so it was confusing me to see only the one 15 GB file on Mozy. But like I said, I don't care so much about only being able to download the full file, I just don't wan to have to upload the full file every time.

5. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Maybe its because you are looking at the restore console, where you see (I presume, not having Mozy) which files to restore and perhaps choose to which time points. In that context it makes sense to show it as a single file, though Jungle Disk actually shows all the 'bits' so if I had to restore it I'd have to pick the top most folder (I presume) and hope it all worked out, that more confusing. You will just have to try it, you would hope they had sorted this out or it would make using Mac impractical for a large proportion of their Mac base.