Question for anyone who has left the iPhone world for a year

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jumpman2033, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Jumpman2033 macrumors regular

I am debating whether or not to take a year off from an iPhone and try out a Blackberry (the new torch probably). If there is a big design change with the iPhone i will probably get it, but if not, then i would like to try out a Blackberry just for a change. i will be keeping my iPhone 4 as a backup and the new torch would cost me $50 (no big deal).

My question is this: If i use my current upgrade to go to a different phone (like a blackberry), will the early iPhone upgrade still be available at next year's iPhone release? I know normal iPhone users seem to be able to do an early upgrade every year with the iPhone, but i don't know if that entails EVERYONE who is going to an iPhone or not.

Thanks in advance for your time.

2. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

With iOS 5 I'm not sure why everybody would want to leave anyway

Seems odd to me.

iOS 5 will be like having a new phone

3. Jumpman2033 thread starter macrumors regular

Has anyone confirmed, or have an idea if the iPhone 4 will be able to utilize all the features of iOS5 (like the Siri Assistant etc.)? Just curious because if so then that might sway my decision.

4. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

Out of everything, blackberry should be at rock-bottom of your list. Any android phone Is an improvement over BB

5. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Obviously there has been no confirmation, but the consensus is that only the new iPhone will run Assistant.

6. shadrap macrumors 6502

I left for the Evo and came back. But the new android and windows phones have greatly improved.

I would try to see what the Nexus Prime and Nokia Searay bring. Both will be better than a 4s. I am still hoping for an iPhone 5, but if not, I will be going to one if these.

7. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Jeez, Blackberry is practically out of business. Any new Android would be much better. :confused:

8. aztooh macrumors 6502a

How exactly will iOS 5 make for a "like-new-phone"? New notifications and some new features within the OS?

Not like it greatly changes the UI or anything. Not everyone is in love with, or even likes, the form factor of the 4....or the small screen. I thought that's been well established already.

9. jasko macrumors 6502

jasko

I got rid of my iPhone 3GS back in 2009 and jumped ship for the original Motorola Droid. It was a nice change after being very bored of my iPhone back then. Since about 6 months ago I've been counting the days down until my contract ends to get another iPhone again. My contract allowed me to upgrade last month (September) and I'm still eagerly awaiting the next gen iPhone.

In regards to your plan... like everyone else said, a BB should be your last thought. Ever.

10. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

I left iPhone for 3 months to try out android... That's all I needed to know that I was correct in choosing an iPhone for my uses. Android is okay at best for what I need out of a phone.

I still want to try out a windows 7 phone though. :D

I bought the android phone off of eBay so I have no idea about your question, sorry.

11. byke macrumors 6502a

byke

iOS 5 while it has new features just feels nicer in terms of user operability and snappiness .... Almost like its been rewritten from the ground up.

12. AreYouIn? macrumors 6502a

AreYouIn?

I switched to a blackberry curve running os 6 on it for about 6 months earlier this year. I loved my blackberry and I may get a torch as well if I do not like tomorrows announcement. There are enough people in my family that someone always has an upgrade available I could use. But as far as ATT just making your upgrade available because you have an iphone, no they don't. I had to pay $100 on ebay for that blackberry I bought. I think it is if you pay more than $100 a month on your service through ATT then you are eligible for an upgrade once a year.

I should add that I am back to my 3gs waiting for the next iphone though. As far as web browsing went on my curved it was torture even though it had the new browser (pages loaded better but due to the specs on the phone it sometimes gave me the page too heavy to load message). I doubt the torch would have that problem though.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I echo the other poster's sentiments regarding BB. I'd avoid them, android is a better option, or maybe even a windows 7 phone.

My only piece of advise is this:
    Instead of choosing a platform just because, why not investigate which platform best suits your needs. Android has it set of advantages/disadvantages, as does iOS and WP7. Pick the phone that works the best to fitting your needs.

14. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Exactly

15. eaglesteve macrumors 6502

I had said that I would hang on my iPhone 4 if the iPhone screen is still the tiny 3.5 inch. Perhaps I'll give Mango a go instead. I've already tried Android and don't like it.

16. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

First off, your idea is a good one.

Second to your question: You've not told us which carrier you use, so it's impossible to answer your question.

If you are referring to AT&T (a network I've used for 12 years) there is NO such thing as an early iPhone upgrade. There is nothing special about the iPhone on AT&T's network. It's just another smartphone ... period.

Now referring to the "early upgrade" Myth? The average user does NOT read their contract or have a clue how upgrades are dealt with at AT&T. It's all there to read, but most folks are simply too lazy to read something they are legally bound to.

That said, I will explain it since I have read the contract, the terms of service AND the privacy statements. AT&T no longer has a set or fixed, upgrade date for anyone.

They start out by stating it's a two year contract, upon expiration you may then upgrade. That's the starting point.

If one continues to read it states that upgrade times are dependent on each users usage, data plan, total family plan statement (if you're on one) on a month to month basis, etc.

Translated that means that it really depends on how good of a customer you are, how much money you spend with AT&T and when they decide to change your upgrade date.

Notice I DID NOT SAY "change your upgrade date for an iPhone".

There is no such thing as an iPhone specific plan or upgrade policy. There _Is_ total control over your account by AT&T and if they decide they want to sell more smartphones of ANY Kind during a certain month, or quarter the fact is they will advance the dates for many users.

I spend loads of money with AT&T, have two family plans, eight lines, (two for myself. Android, & iPhone) and I get two phones per year at the upgrade price whenever I want. That's a fact.

Conversely my neighbor who really doesn't' use his iPhone all that much must wait the full two years. There is no early upgrade for iPhones.

The fact is iPhone users want to feel special so they've created this myth.

17. Nachoconqueso macrumors regular

Me too. It'd be weird if they released iOS 5, had an A5, and do a 4s. Everyone really wants 5 to be the magic number. Whatever though, it's apples market to lose. 4s...lol whatever dude. If coming out with a phone that is exactly the same to your average customer is staying on top, then go for it! Believe me, the average customer will not get into anything that iOS 5 offers. My mom likes her iPhone...so does my sister. Neither of them give two craps about what an icloud is. They would, however, like a bigger screen to see the Internet and video.

I love apple, but it's true. It's their move now and they better make a good one or face some amount of fallout.

18. fotomatt1 macrumors regular

I left for 8 months and had a Droid X on Verizon, and when the Verizon iPhone came out, I went back the next day. Android is not iOS. You can customize it and do a lot of cool things with it, but it doesn't have the polish that iOS has. If you use your phone as a music player, good luck with anything but an iPhone. It will do it, but not well. Android is great with Gmail, but beyond that it's really buggy. Open Source means no app quality control, and it shows. If you leave, you'll be back. I can promise you that.

19. Jumpman2033 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the feedback so far. To answer one question right off the bat, I do have AT&T and spend well over $100 a month for their service. Since I have bought my first iPhone (3G) I have had the option to upgrade to the newest iPhone each year with the discounted price. That is why I was wondering if I use my current upgrade on a new phone, would I still be able to get next year's iPhone (assuming their will be one) at the discounted price?

In repsonse to others about looking at phones other than Blackberry; I certainly will. I don't know why though, but I have always been interested in Blackberrys. They seem very crisp and clean similar to the iPhone. I don't need a lot of fancy features, big bright screens, blazing fast processors etc. One of my favorite things about the iPhone is that it is simple and reliable. It rarely if ever crashes, has good battery life, and is easy to accomplish whatever I want.

The only reason that I am even considering a different phone is because I haven't used any other smartphone since going to the iPhone. Hopefully this clears up some of the questions and concerns over why I am looking at Blackberry (or any other phone for that matter).

20. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Finally, a sensible and honest post.

The forum has been over run by 'I want my iPhone5 or else' whiners.

21. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

A few years ago I left the iPhone for the BlackBerry Tour. I thought I'd have more fun and the Tour looked like a great phone.

One week past and during a baseball game I called into ATT and had my iPhone reactivated. For work I have a BB, so now I carry both phones. Once the iPhone 5 arrives I'll be doing everything I can to toss that POS BlackBerry out the door. I was a hard core RIM user for years, but once I got my hands on the iPhone I was shocked at how much I loved the phone. It did things for me, allowed me to make life easier. And that's what I feel a phone should do: Make life easier.

Honestly, I believe people get "bored" of devices and simply want something new. The problem is that "new" item is nice for a few days, but if the features don't satisfy...people come running back. Sure Android has "open source" but the OS is not polished. I have friends with Android and they complain to me about how hard it is to do simple tasks, and they're in awe of how simple it is to do the same tasks on my iPhone. I've actually (literally) have converted over 12 people at my work to switch from either BB or Android to an iPhone in the last 18 months.

22. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I gave up my i4 for an EVO last December for less than a week and I was back to the i4. The EVO was actually a decent phone with great features, but the biggest knock was the battery life on it. Couldn't get through half a day without needing a charge.

23. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

I left the iPhone 4 3-4 months ago and bought me a galaxy mini while waiting for the iPhone 5. So no I always go back to the mothership ecosystem lol

24. Jumpman2033 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I think that is kind of how I am feeling, and I figured if a new release Blackberry will only cost me $50 that it couldn't hurt to check it out.