Question for AT&T iPhone users that use "Mail"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by REP93, Jun 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. REP93, Jun 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2014

REP93 macrumors newbie

I have a question for the AT&T iPhone users that use Apple's Mail app, when you send photos through Mail over your cell carrier( AT&T) do your photos get compressed or resized even when using the "Actual Size" option? I know that photos get compressed when sending over iMessage while using cell carrier but I am not sure about Apple's Mail app which is why I am asking. Thank you.

2. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

I've never experienced anything like that, but I also stopped using Apple Mail over a year ago.

3. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

I use Gmail via AT&T with the native Apple Mail app on iPhone 5, iPad 4 and iPad Mini-R. Sending pix to my PC results in the full resolution photo received if I choose to send the original size.

4. REP93, Jun 8, 2014

REP93 thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you send them to yourself through your wifi or your cell carrier though?
    Would you be able to test for me on your iPhone and tell me what the size comes out to doing it via cell carrier and not wifi? like what do they turn up as file size and dimensions? Thank you.

5. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Sent via ATT LTE. Original size. Posting as attachment because inline would be too big for thread.

Does this help? :)

Attached Files:

6. REP93, Jun 8, 2014

It does indeed! Thank you. Which iPhone do you have by the way?
    Does anyone know why AT&T compresses photos sent over iMessage and not photos sent over Mail? Does AT&T have a limit for email?

7. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Responding to your PM in forum, in case anyone else would benefit from this discussion. :)

I am currently using an iPhone 5 while awaiting the next offering this Fall, but have also used a 3GS and iPhone 4. When I upgrade, I give my last iPhone to my son.

I have used the same method of emailing photos to myself since 2009, using wifi. The experiment that I helped you with today is the first time I've turned off wifi in order to selectively use LTE.

8. Guacho macrumors newbie

I'm sure they don't get compressed when you select actual size, Apple would control that, not at&t

9. REP93, Jun 9, 2014

Well I talked to Apple and they told me to talk to AT&T and then AT&T told me to talk to Apple. It's all been pretty confusing. Would anyone else be willing to do a test to see?

10. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

I'm not understanding what the problem is. My sister and I use iMessage to send pix all the time and the pix are always good quality. In fact, I see no difference between those emailed and those sent via iMessage.

11. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I could be wrong since I leave iMessage turned off on my 5S, but I was under the impression that iMessages don't go through the carrier but through Apple's servers. If that's the case, the carrier wouldn't have any control or need to compress images since it's not going through their network. I was also under the impression that iMessage doesn't compress images, regardless of what it goes through.

Again, I could be wrong.

12. REP93, Jun 9, 2014

Does the carrier have any control over Apple Mail?

13. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Hmm. Good question and I feel confident saying they don't, but who knows?

14. REP93, Jun 10, 2014

The photos someone is sending me through Mail on their iPhone(AT&T) are only around 2048x1536 and she is choosing "Actual Size"... does anyone know why the photos are sending at these dimensions?

15. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Are both phones involved iPhones? If so, which models? Are both parties using AT&T?

16. REP93, Jun 11, 2014

She is sending from her AT&T iPhone 5 through Mail and I am receiving them through my email on my mac. Would her having a Yahoo email address have anything to do with it? I wouldn't think so but worth asking. Anyone got any idea what could be going on?

17. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

You're saying that she has her Yahoo email account set up thru the native iOS Mail account on the iPhone?

IIRC, there were some previous discussions regarding various abnormalities when Yahoo mail was used via iOS Mail as opposed to using the Yahoo Mail app or using Yahoo Mail via a browser. You/she might want to inquire at Yahoo to see what their specifics/limitations are.

As an aside, my sister had so many problems regarding Yahoo email on her iPhone that she finally threw in the towel and set up everything thru Gmail instead (which made me happy because I'd been telling her to do that for years. ;) )

18. jlsm511 macrumors 6502

jlsm511

Sent photos to myself and others over LTE and 4G, using the full size option, and always gotten a full size attachment.

19. REP93, Jun 11, 2014

Abnormalities like what?

20. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Many and varied.

In my sister's case, individual contacts would randomly disappear from one day to the next. They were linked to Yahoo.

Your friend should check (at Yahoo mail) the specs regarding size limitations WRT Yahoo mail & photos/attachments.

21. REP93, Jun 12, 2014

I just did a test with someone from Apple and someone emailed me photos from their iPhone using Mail and selecting "Actual Size" over cell carrier and the photos turned out to be 2048x1536 instead of actual size. They also did another test and emailed me the same photos from their computer after importing the photos through usb to their computer and oddly... still 2048x1536. Anyone got any idea what is going on? They didn't transfer the photos to their computer through Photo steam so that's not the reason.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.