Question for BlackBook owners

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by daneoni, Feb 4, 2008.

1. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Im kinda worried about the trackpad on my BlackBook i've seen flickr images of trackpads that have gone smooth or very oily the center. Thus far all laptops i've owned (Mostly Pro laptops) never developed smooth/oily patches but like they say there's a first time for everything.

I've tried to get trackpad covers but most of the ones i've gotten so far have been *****. They either don't respond well to finger movements or they scratch/peel off

Just curious. All blackbook owners do you have smooth/oily trackpads and if so, how long have you had you're laptop?

2. noverflow macrumors regular

Had mine for about 15 months. The trackpad is really shiny/ oily looking. I hate it really. I was actually looking for a replacement.

I had a 12in PB before this for several years. It never happened to that track pad, so I think it is the plastic, or something.

3. espressoroast macrumors member

espressoroast

Unfortunately, I can also confirm the shiny trackpad.

We have a Blackbook for exactly a year now and the center of the trackpad is a shiny circle within the matte finish.

4. stvfisher macrumors member

5. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

That would be considered normal wear.

I recommend the Moshi kit. It included a wristpad cover, trackpad cover, and trackpad button cover. Between that and the occasional cleaning with iKlear, it'll look great for years. Keep in mind that NO machine will stay pristine unless it's never taken from the original packaging.

6. Bakkalohriat Guest

Bakkalohriat

I'm pretty diligent about cleaning my trackpad, and after about eight months there's only a small discolored patch in the middle. It doesn't feel new, but it's still so much better than my roommate's brand new HP trackpad! :p

7. stvfisher macrumors member

What's the best way to clean the trackpad?

I've only had my blackbook for a few weeks and I want to keep the trackpad as clean as possible!

8. yoppie macrumors 6502a

I use the Applepeelz trackpad cover. I have used two of them since receiving my MacBook in July 2006. I removed the first one about a year after placing it on just to see if there would be residue. No residue or stickiness anywhere.

I'm pretty pleased with the product. Their site address is www.applepeelz.com

ETA: I have the black MacBook.

9. Designer1 macrumors member

Power Support Track Pad Film - available at the Apple Store

I used this on my Blackbook, which I had for 11 months. It had a great feel and I never had a problem, even using two finger scrolling. When I sold my BB this December the track pad looked like new.

10. Bakkalohriat Guest

Bakkalohriat

Personally, I either use Wal*Mart optical lens cleaner (I also use that to clean just about everything) or a very sparing application of rubbing alcohol. Likewise for the keyboard/wristpads.

11. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

You can use some Sandpaper and file off the pads of your fingers so you won't have any grip. It will prevent your finger from taking the texture off as easy.

12. Bakkalohriat Guest

Bakkalohriat

:eek:

And perhaps make it a little harder for the FBI to track you down?

13. stvfisher macrumors member

Three products recommended here, one of which I will buy.... now to determine which is the best....

14. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

;)

15. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

Hopefully Apple used a more resilient paint/plastic?

16. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

It's not an issue with BlackBooks, all laptop trackpads will get worn off eventually. On my old Dell laptop, I have managed to wear off the "non-stick" surface of its trackpad, leaving a hole where the smooth "sensor" film shows.

I'm dithering about whether to get a trackpad protector, or even a full trackpad+palmrest one. I love the texture of the BlackBook. Which is one of the main reasons I got it instead of white. So I'd feel quite silly if I started wrapping my BlackBook up. Then again, keeping a BlackBook pristine....

17. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

The one thing I hate about the BB is that since its black...all the grime from your hands ends up on the trackpad and the keyboard. Its nasty

18. dantherevelator macrumors regular

I've had mine about four months and rub it down with a Magic Eraser every other day or so. Sometimes I spritz it with a some of that iKlear. It still looks new and I can't make out any wear on the trackpad at all--even at an angle in the light.

19. f1 macrumors 6502

Slam your macbook shut real hard continuously till your top case starts cracking than get Apple to replace the top case which includes the trackpad. The top case cracking is a known issue and apple will happily replace a cracking top case.

20. khunsanook macrumors 6502

khunsanook

I have a white MB, but I bought a roll of adhesive contact paper from an art store. The whole roll cost me about 4 bucks. I cut out pieces for the button and trackpad. It never peels off but I replace it every 3 or 4 months just to make sure there's no gummy residue build-up - No problems whatsoever - wipes off super easily and when I sell my MB in 6-12 months it'll be pearly white and without any trackpad wear.

21. writeous macrumors regular

Just get a nice mouse portable mouse to use and problem solved:cool:

22. vandlism macrumors 6502

I've had mine since July and it has a somewhat shiny trackpad. In no way is this unique to the BlackBook though. It happened on my white MacBook, all of my friends' MacBooks as well as our PowerBooks. It's pretty much normal wear and tear of the portable. Don't worry about it, there are more important things. It's like scratches on the back of an iPod. It's going to happen and you get used to it. These are tools we use endlessly,; it's pretty unreasonable to expect them to stay in perfect condition, but there's no fault in trying.

23. r-gordon-7 macrumors newbie

Don't think of it as an oily stain - instead, think of it as a fine patina! :D

r-gordon-7

24. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

Stain is one of those words that just sounds gross used in any context. Just call it a Love Rub.

25. jlmillstein macrumors member

He may sound crazy, but this is actually a really good idea. I was thinking of buying a new top case for 100 dollars, and then soon after noticed a crack. I brought it back to the apple store, and my mb is as good as new.