Question for Canadian iPhone Users

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joeblow7777, Jul 12, 2016.

1. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Hi fellow Canadians. I'm thinking ahead to my next iPhone purchase, although whether that will be this year or 2017 remains to be seen.

Anyway, I'm currently finishing up a 3 year corporate plan with Telus that is a much better deal than any of the current 2 year plans from the major carriers. I would like to stay on the plan for the foreseeable future but I assume that I can only do so by buying my next phone unlocked and contract free from Apple, as buying it subsidized through a carrier will mean a new contract. However, I've noticed that the fine print says that unlocked phones may not work on all networks.

Given that Telus is one of just 3 major carriers in Canada I'm guessing that it should be fine, but can any Telus customers out there who have bought an unlocked phone from Apple confirm that there's no problem?

Thanks in advance.

2. drambuie macrumors 6502a

--- Post Merged, Jul 12, 2016 ---
    You can buy a new iPhone direct from Telus at Apple prices, and retain your existing plan. If you contact Telus customer loyalty you might be able to get a discount on a new iPhone if you renew your existing plan for 2 years at same rates. Also, you can buy AppleCare+ from Telus for $129 Cdn, same as Apple.

3. joeblow7777 thread starter macrumors 601

I see. I think that the carriers are really trying to get customers off of the cheaper 3 year rates, so I'd be surprised if they let me renew at the same rate. They seem to be especially inflexible with corporate plans like mine. I will look into that option though. Thank you.

4. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

To answer your other question, unlocked iPhone from Apple stores in Canada will 110% work with all carriers in Canada.

5. joeblow7777 thread starter macrumors 601

I figured as much, but I just wanted to get confirmation. Thanks.

6. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

Even if you got the new phone through Telus it wouldn't change your plan. As long as you just renew your contract. I used to have with Rogers a 6gb data plan that was only offered back for the iPhone 3G. That never changed or was ever forced to change when upgrading to the 4 and then the 5 until when I got the iPhone 6 and changed my plan to drop my monthly fee on purpose. Which by then was long after the offer was even available for. You can renew a contract without changing it. (At least I've always been able to with Rogers. Telus might be different I suppose.)

7. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Not in my case. Rogers wouldn't let me get a new subsidized iPhone while keeping my "grandfathered" Crop 350 plan. I either buy the phone right out, or sign a new "in-market" agreement.

8. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

Strange. Maybe it depends on the staff and store then? I never had to give up my legacy 6gb data plan form the iPhone 3G days. I would still have it now had I not wanted a less expensive bill. (I dropped close to $25 off my bill)

9. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Rule changes all the time. What was possible before may not be allowed today.

10. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

True. But I'm just going off what my experience has been for almost a decade on Rogers with an iPhone. (Been there 13-14 years and obviously some of that is pre iPhone.)

11. joeblow7777 thread starter macrumors 601

I will look into it but I don't think that I will be able to grandfather my current plan because it's a corporate plan (and I know from past experience that they are managed through a different and apparently less flexible office than the people who manage regular consumer accounts), and it's a 3 year plan, which I'm pretty sure the carriers want to get everyone off of since they don't make them money as fast.

12. Hype-149 macrumors member

Buy your device from Apple directly. Rogers's says that WiFi calling may not work with phones NOT sold by Rogers but it does work with my unlocked phone I bought from Apple directly!

Buy your phone, insert your sim and don't change your plan if you have a good plan!