Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Presha

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
Double Down
Straight to the point with my question,

Is it possible to print a picture from video shot with your DSLR? I have a 5DII?

Thanks in advance!:D

gnd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
At my cat's house
Thank you, just wasn't for sure if that was possible.

Of course it's possible, it's just not recommended. The resolution of video is too low for printing. I would imagine any video editing software would have an "export frame as a jpg" feature.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Thank you, just wasn't for sure if that was possible.

Oh, it's certainly possible. Export a still from a video sequence and send it to the printer.

Just remember that even though it's HD in videoland, it's still pretty small for photography printing. A 4x6 print would be okay, but nothing much larger. 8x10 at max, with noticeable softness.

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
I thought he was talking like Direct Print straight from the camera deal. Sure you can take the video and throw it into an NLE, grab the frame, and print it but that might not work well. When you're shooting video, you're shooting it at 24 frames at 1/50 of a second, there's a ton of blur, getting a real sharp frame will be hard as is. Good luck to you.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
1920x1080 is a 2MP image. that'll make a good 4x6, and not much more.

then there's the shutter speed issue, as pointed out above.

Presha

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
Double Down
Thanks everyone for all your input. It doesn't seem like a good idea, so I won't pursue it any further....thanks!

Presha

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
Double Down
I think with the 5D and 7D you can take a picture while your still recording a video, so you might can read into that man. Goodluck!

You are correct my friend. The problem with that is, every time you take a picture while recording video, the video stops recording for second and then resumes after the picture is taken; thus leaving gaps in the video.

TWLreal

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2006
As it's been said above, it's possible under the right conditions.

The resolution will not be too low. It is adequate for printing for a 4"x6" but it will be of the wrong aspect ratio. People used to print from their 2 MP cameras a few years ago. It's not ideal but it's more than doable.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-9973-9976

This is a screenshot from a 720p video. It's more than adequate under the right conditions.

3010canonrebelt1iframeg.jpg

With all that said, this is more of a safety net if you absolutely need a still from a video source rather than a feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.