Question for College Users

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mbrydone, Mar 3, 2008.

1. mbrydone macrumors regular

I'm going off to college next year and I plan on upgrading to a new MacBook Pro but I am really torn between the 15" and the 17"

So my question is how portable is the 17" and is it really worth the extra money...

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i find the mb to be great

saying that, after my 5 years in college, ive never had the need to have a laptop at all. got through my first 3 years with an emac and havd a mb for the last 2

if you want my advice, save the moeny on a laptop and get an imac or another desktop that has more bang for the buck

3. ct04 macrumors member

just judging from my experience at college, everyone who takes a computer to lectures is carrying a macbook, with an occasional mbp thrown in here and there. 17" is really pretty darn big, and it is heavy enough that i wouldn't wanna throw it in my messenger bag, even if it fit. i'm getting a 15" for my last few months of college, and i think it's a good decision, since it fits the portabiliy bill (barely) and more importantly the graduate-i'm-getting-an-office-laptop-too bill.

er. essentially, don't get the 17" if you want to take a computer to lecture. and you will. wireless+boring-monotone-prof=an hour surfing the net.

4. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Buy the 15in, and get an iPhone as well with the money saved on not getting the 17in. I carry my 15in everywhere and its just the right size and weight, and for lectures it just fits on the desk. The 17in will not fit on the small lecture desks in a big lecture hall!

5. vocaro macrumors regular

It's not very portable. Even the 15" MBP doesn't fit on those tiny college classroom desks. And the 17" doesn't fit in most laptop bags/briefcases. Unless you really need an extra two inches of screen, it's not worth it.

6. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

I find it quite portable for its size. I carry my 17" MBP, mouse, power brick w/grounded extension, and my books/notebooks in my backpack almost everyday. Yes, the 17" is kinda large for the flip desks, but I just use it on my lap when I need to in lecture.

That being said, only get the pro if you need the pro (more power, dedicated graphics, etc.). If you are only going to be using it for documents, iTunes, and web, get the MB and a nice monitor for your dorm if you want a larger screen.