All iPads Question for composers/musicians. Suggest the best size for music notation apps

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Vodka, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Vodka macrumors regular

Hello, everyone!
    I'm a long-time OS and iPhone user, but never had and iPad and never felt the need for one. Now what the new models come in November i start to think of the possible purchase.
    I live in Japan and earned a lot of points for purchasing something in a household appliances shop. I'm studying music/composing, and my question is how usable an iPad(mini or 9.7") for music notation. I tried both sizes in shop(liked mini size more), but couldn't try music notation apps, so I'm not sure what size will suit better(now what standard sized iPad weight a lot less).
    Probably music notation is the only reason for purchasing. Maybe i'll use iBooks, as i use 'em on my iphone too.

Thanks in advance :)

2. Threni macrumors member

Hello,

I am a composer but I haven't yet found a composing app. I use Sibelius to compose on my PC but there doesn't seem to be an iPad equivalent.

There is an app "Avid Scorch" to open and play sibelius files that have already been written. You can also buy scores (useful as I am a teacher) for someone to play and transpose them to the relevant key.

There are a few other apps you might like including Beethoven 9, The Orchestra and one about Liszt Sonata. If you search how I have written them they should come up.

3. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

If you're doing music notation or using sheet music apps, I'd definitely recommend the full size Air. I've used sheet music on my iPad mini and it's too small for me, that's literally the only thing I don't find the mini perfect for, though.

4. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I agree with this and this topic just reminded me all about reading sheet music. With the distance from the stand above your keyboard, I found myself having to lean forward and squinting at times with the mini.

I'm thinking of getting the Air for this reason now.

5. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

What about some sort of a clamp mount for your mini so it's closer to your face, would that work? I was thinking of looking into something at some point, as I'm still getting the new mini as I prefer the size etc.

6. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Yea lol, I'm still on the fence too between Air and mini myself and I also prefer the size of the mini as well.

That is a good suggestion. I know that there are many types of music stands built for iPad but not sure about the mini form factor and if the clamp would would work for standard keyboard stands.

Also, with it being retina now, I'm thinking it may be easier to view from that distance.