Question for current iPad owners on HD size....

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Wiggum, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Wiggum macrumors member

Hey guys,

With the availability of being able to access all music/movies/media from home via some different available apps, is there anyone who thinks they should have opted for a smaller HD sized iPad??? I'm planning on picking up iPad2 and am in the process of deciding what HD size to buy, and these apps certainly are changing the game...

Thanks

2. smetvid macrumors 6502

I cannot speak for everybody else but I personally have yet to use over 2GB on my iPad.

I do have music but I find myself not listening to music on the iPad as much as I thought I would.

1. Too much effort to hook it up to my audio port in the car.
    2. Too big to take to the gym.
    3. At home or at work I am sitting in front of my Mac which can play my entire library of music. If I don't want to sit in front of my computer I can always buy an airplay device or just wire my Mac up to the sound system.

I think I may pick up an iPad Shuffle to listen to my music in the car and at the Gym.

Video on the iPad is nice but I just don't have a lot of video I need to watch on a regular basis. TV shows and movies I only really watch once or twice tops and after that there is little to no point keeping them on the iPad. Personally I think shuffling only the video you actually plan on watching makes sense. Most video I do watch on the iPad tends to be web based such as vimeo and youtube so again no need for storage.

For images I do have some photos on the iPad but I find myself not needing 10,000.00 photos at any given time. I tend to only put my favorite photos on the iPad. I find trying to manage that many photos on the iPad to be a bit cumbersome and prefer to have them in a quick to view list of favorites. Again just like with the video it really isn't a big deal to shuffle the photos around on the iPad and only keep your current favorites on at a time.

Finally I have a bunch of apps and they are not taking up much space at all right now. Of course that could change with some very graphics intensive games but again just like the photos and video how many games can you really play at once.

Now if you have kids things may be a bit different. If you are taking a long road trip with your kids then you may want to put a few movies on the iPad. I still think the 16GB would be fine for such a long trip but I could be wrong. I recently flew to South Africa with my Wife which was a 8 hour flight followed by another 12 hour flight. Even if I could get the battery to last that long I doubt I could watch that much video without getting a massive headache. Although to be honest I did watch as many of the movies provided through the British Airways menu system as I could.

3. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

Bought a 32GB iPad on day one. Been struggling for free space. Going for the 64GB if/when I upgrade.

Apps and games can take a fair amount of space. I have a couple gigs of music on there too. I'm one of those people who loves to have music in the background while doing things, and I download a fair few iTunes U lectures and presentations, too.

It depends what you use it for. I'd recommend going for the 32GB and seeing if you fill it. Keep it in good condition, and if it's just not enough then sell it and upgrade.

Also, you should consider that for the iPad 2:
    - If it has a camera, it might be worth considering more space. Especially for shooting HD video.
    - If it has this wonder-screen, graphics resources in apps are going to increase in size. Again, consider more space if this actually happens.

4. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

I have maxed out my 64GB. That said, I use it as my primary computer (see my signature...) so I admit my use case is probably not all that common. Yet!

I have 20GB of documents alone. A couple GB of apps. 5GB of music. The rest is movies, which I rotate fairly frequently.

I will absolutely purchase a 128GB ipad2 assuming that capacity is made available.