Question for designers: any good page layout apps?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by UnstrungHarp, Jul 7, 2010.

1. UnstrungHarp macrumors newbie

Up until last week, I was content to use my iPad for "consumption only" because my MBP is always nearby when I have to, like...work and stuff. :)

Last week while on vacation, I brought only my iPad with me because I had cleared the week's vacation with all of my assorted employers/clients and was looking forward to a blissful, stress-free week exploring mountain scenery on a motorcycle with my husband.

As luck would have it, I forgot (read: wasn't asked) to complete one relatively easy project before leaving, and I got an email about it while on the road, quite a few miles from home. I figured...well, this is a great time to see how productive I can be with my iPad. After arriving at our hotel that night, I fired up the App Store and downloaded Pages because it was the first option that came to mind. I was missing all the elements I needed for this basic flyer, but that was sort of no problem after remembering that I had placed some company logos on my box.net account a while back, and I could get the photo I needed from my photospin.com account. After figuring all this out and learning how to use Pages (!), I completed the five variations of this flyer the next evening in another hotel. I was thrilled with the result simply because I was able to produce something that wasn't crap. So I happily exported the files as PDFs and sent them using Mail to the various folks that needed the flyers.

The tragic end of the story, as you may already expect, was when I found out that nobody is able to open PDFs created from Pages on an iPad. From doing a little research after the fact, it sounds like a font problem, maybe, but that's really inexcusable in my opinion. A PDF is supposed to be pretty much universally compatible...well anyway, I am hoping that I never run into this situation again, but it would be comforting to know that I could get another app suitable for page layout (more complex than just a word processor) that will really export PDFs.

Oh, and I did think of the remote desktop thing...I do have Desktop Connect, but before I left for vacation, I shut down the laptop completely, and it apparently can't be powered up remotely.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. lokerd macrumors 6502a

lokerd

Did you ever decide on a solution? Does Pages still have this problem? I see your post was written some time ago. I found it while trying to solve an issue also with Pages in uploading to a WebDAV and that Box.net does not allow uploads.

I sure wish this was easier.

3. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

I remember reading the PDF problem was fixed.

I'd also be interested in any page layout design apps, if any exist. It's the one thing I need to go back to my Mac for. Only one I know of is Pages, but the layout options are limited.

4. UnstrungHarp thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, I haven't even used Pages since the aforementioned situation! But I think in one of the recent updates, the PDF problem was supposed to be fixed. I should test it myself, but I haven't had a reason to. I also haven't heard of any other page layout programs for the iPad.

I'm dreaming, but wouldn't it be awesome if Adobe made a simplified version of InDesign for the iPad?? :rolleyes:

5. lokerd macrumors 6502a

lokerd

CORRECTION...BOX.net DOES allow DAV uploads.

I looked and tried a bunch yesterday...search for DAV client today...found this:

http://serverfault.com/questions/5196/whats-the-best-free-webdav-service-out-there

It states...
    Box.net comes highly recommended. Webdav access is available through https://www.box.net/dav.

And it just worked! Nice. And I tried it with a PDF. It did through out an error for the font, but it displayed ok to me.

At least that is one solution when using Pages for layouts. WOW!

6. ciaran00 macrumors 6502

Dropbox also allows DAV upload/download through Pages. Google DropDAV and go from there.

It's pretty amazing how much more usable Pages has become now.