Question for Devs: Third Party Payments?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by brett429, Jan 3, 2011.

1. brett429 macrumors member

What are the rules for iTunes about apps using third party payment processors? For instance, givng users the option to use PayPal or another merchant account for purchases.

I know apps like Jott & Netflix use their own payment processor.

I want like to confirm that Apple has no issue with using a 3rd party payment vendor. Also curious if I would be able to use both App Store in app purchasing and a 3rd payment processor. I don't know of any apps that have both options.

Thanks!

2. brett429 thread starter macrumors member

Very helpful! Thank you!!!

3. Luke Redpath macrumors 6502a

I believe you can use a third-party payment processor but if you are intending to send electronic downloads or credits or some kind of consumable add-on for your app that are used or consumed within your app, you must use the iTunes In-App Purchase system.

4. brett429 thread starter macrumors member

Does Apple have this in writing somewhere?
    Are there examples of apps that use both Apple and a 3rd party?

I appreciate your help! I will recommend your service to the dev I work with. :)

5. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

6. brett429 thread starter macrumors member

7. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

You don't think the "Purchasing and currencies" section has any relevance?

I'm not saying it has all the answers, but surely there must be something there that provides you direction. If you have further questions, then you should probably contact Apple.

8. brett429 thread starter macrumors member

"Apps utilizing a system other than the In App Purchase API (IAP) to purchase content, functionality, or services in an app will be rejected"

This makes it sound like you can't use services other than In App Purchase?

9. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

"in an app" is the key, I believe. My interpretation of this is: If your app is providing the ability to purchase content, functionality or services to be used within your app, and only in your app, it must be done using In App Purchase. Jott and Netflix are services, from my understanding, that are pretty much established outside of their iOS apps and therefore the app is just providing a "hook" into their existing offerings. But, if I were to try and implement something like this I was unsure of in my app, I'd try to contact Apple to confirm first.

Maybe if you gave us more details of what you are hoping to do within your app, we can provide more direction.

10. brett429 thread starter macrumors member

That does help, though it's still a bit vague (not your fault, Apple's fault). The app I'm working with is a social networking app. Though the base app is free, there is also a subscription-based version that has more features. Right now, the user would download the subscription-based version and then use in-app purchasing to buy subscription time (30 days, 60 days, etc.).

So, you could say that the services are established outside of Apple's realm, since we don't use Apple's servers for our chat functions. However, without the app interface, there would be no app. So... that kinda leaves a gray area?