Question For Google Voice Users

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DocStone, Oct 29, 2010.

1. DocStone macrumors regular

DocStone

My contract with AT&T ends in about 12 days and I have considered not renewing it. If I just wanted to use Google Voice and the app (GV Mobile +) on WIFI, will this work? Can people still call me if I only have that on wifi using my Google number? I know I can call out...but in bound is what I am worried about.

I have a Gizmo account too for my computer if that even factors.

Thanks for your help.

2. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

I was under the impression that google voice had to be linked to another phone number because it forwards all calls to the other numbers. Are you sure you'll be around wifi that often to use it as a phone? What about out on the road, emergency situations? Even if it was possible, I don't think it's a wise choice.

**holy iPad autocorrect batman! That sentence made almost no sense.

3. pbateman macrumors 6502

Nope, you still need a 'real' phone number to forward the google voice to..

4. DocStone thread starter macrumors regular

DocStone

I have a work phone that can only be used for work. I just need a wifi phone that is completely separate.

I have one from GIZMO but I am not sure it will work for the iPhone. I have not quite figured this out.

5. ryan0402 macrumors 6502

if you are not going to use a phone number I am pretty sure they are compatible with Gizmo since the desktop version is

6. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Google Voice is not a VoIP service, if someone calls your GV number and you want to answer the call on your cell phone, then you have to set-up GV to forward all calls to your cell phone by providing an active cell phone number. You can program more than one phone to have GV forward the call to, but if your phone has no service, then the call won't go through and it does not work over WiFi. Google Voice also uses your minutes as if you made or received the call from your actual number.

http://www.google.com/support/voice/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=115073

7. DocStone thread starter macrumors regular

DocStone

Ok. Got it.

I have the Gizmo5 app for the iphone and they offer me an inbound number. If I have that app installed on the phone and then link my google number to that then theoretically, I should be able to use just wifi for incoming calls right?

8. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

Didn't know what gizmo was in the first place. So I guess if it's compatible with your gizmo account, then I wouldn't think the wifi only would be a hindrance. But again, the reason we have mobile phones is so we can be away from home and make calls. Am i missing something here. What if you have to make a call when your not connected to wifi and your not around your work phone, computer?

9. DocStone thread starter macrumors regular

DocStone

As I posted earlier, I have a work cell for only work purposes. If I was on the road and needed it for emergency that would be fine. I am not allow by them to forward my personal calls to it.

So, I have an iphone contract ending. To answer my own question, YES, you can do this. If you download Gizmo5, it assigns you a phone number. With that number, you can program Google Voice to forward to that. I tested this by removing my SIM and placing and receiving calls.

Now, some of you wish to know why.... Ok. I have a side business and I can now make and receive calls from any wifi location (home, office, etc...) with no problems. If I am out on the road, they can leave a message. This works great for me.

Thanks for the help guys!

10. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

Ah, sorry. I took that as a land line phone.

11. one4peace macrumors newbie

I love forums! They usually help me avoid asking stupid questions. I think this answered most of my questions, but I'm going to put my neck out and ask Doc (or anyone) a few more:
    Do you commit to a contact to get a number when downloading Gizmo 5?
    If you are in a foreign country will Gizmo still work for incoming calls and outgoing calls to the US??
    It sounds to me like the Google Voice number did recognize and forward to Gizmo, will I have a problem using this on the ipod touch gen 4?

Thanks Friends
    kc

12. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Why not use Line2? It'll do everything you need, and you could forward your GV number to it if you wanted...

More to the point, with Line2 you could (if you so desired) get a Data-only plan (assuming AT&T allows this?) and be able to use your iPhone anywhere you get data coverage...

13. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN