Question For Heavy iPad Users

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iphone joe, Apr 20, 2012.

1. iphone joe macrumors regular

iphone joe

My question is for people who use their iPad many hours a day. How does it hold up over time? Do you notice any performance issues?

2. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

I've used mine for nearly a year, everyday and it runs just fine. No (noticeable) battery life lose, and it is still just as fast.

3. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

What I like best about Apple products is that it has no plastic or wearable surfaces. I use mine daily and they look and perform as good as the day they came out of the box.

4. jojoba macrumors 68000

I used my iPad 2 several hours a day for the six months I owned it. I never experienced a drop in performance.

5. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

I've had my iPad 2 for over a year, it gets constant daily use, no problems except that I'm starting to run out of space on my 16gb (though it took me a yer to get to that point).

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'm pretty heavy and it has held up really well. I'm pretty impressed.

7. urkel macrumors 68030

8. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Durability & performance of an iPad is just fine. I have all three models and other than the obvious differences, they're basically the same product.

A lightweight tablet with a stripped down mobile iOS, there's not much to fail. No hard drive, no SSD, no user accessible file system, there's not much to it. So fundamentally simple, it will just keep chugging along. No worries.

9. Nhwhazup macrumors 68020

Nhwhazup

I had the original iPad for two years and used it constantly at home. Rarely opened up the laptop unless I needed to open up something with flash. I traded in my original for the new iPad and it looked and worked like new. Still charged to 100% and everything worked as it should have. So far all my Apple products are still in use. My iPhone 3S was handed down to the grandkids. Kind of like the Toyota commercials where they keep passing the car down through the generations.

Previously, my PC's and non Apple phones would just barely make it to the end of the warrantee period or 2 year phone contract before dying or needing major repairs. The only long term PC I can remember was an IBM Thinkpad that lasted 8 years.

10. pdawg macrumors regular

Original iPad still works well (except for OS issues/app issues) hardware wise: never had any issues with battery, screen, other performance.

Do notice some slower apps and occasional apps stopping.

New iPad: no issues so far.

Both iPads get used daily, depending on the day for as much as 4-5 hours per day easily.

11. NTeggerdine macrumors member

I have had an iPad since the iPad one came out and every iPad I have used up until the new iPad has been used every singe day and sometimes for multiple hours per day. I have never (maybe I'm lucky) had any problems. My iPads have always performed like they were supposed to and I have never had dead pixels, over heating, yellow screen, or freezing issues. I have also jail broken every iPad I have owned with the exception of my new iPad of course.

12. whynotgotovegas macrumors member

I use mine everyday as my computer and it works out just fine. I do charge it sometimes in the evening, but it lasts the whole day.

13. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    My iPad 2 (purchased on launch day) is used pretty heavily during the day at work, and at home until I go to bed. Enough so that I usually need to recharge it overnight.

The only performance drop I see is when I leave the excellent WiFi at my office and have to deal with the crappy DSL service at home, via centurylink. That has nothing to do with the iPad and everything to do with the phone company.

I'm out in the country and we don't have cable. Heck, we don't even have 3G in our county. :mad:

14. chris7777 macrumors 6502

I wish this thread had battery life times. I am thinking of getting one to draw/take notes and netsurf on. Maybe light gaming.

My ipod touch 4 G battery life is abysmal. And if its any indication the ipad would die on me after a couple of hours.

15. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

The battery in an iPad is MUCH larger than the one in iPod touch, so you shouldn't base your expectations on how long a touch battery lasts. If an iPad battery doesn't last at least 8 hours, there's something wrong with it, take it back and get it replaced. With the kind of use you are describing, it should last at least 9 hours, if not 10.

16. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

The iPad 1 then 2 and now 3 have been daily drivers since they first came out. Never a failure in all that time. Sold the iPad 1 to gazelle and I'm sure it's in the hands of its new owner working as well as it did for me.

Front glass of all the units with a wipe of a microfiber cloth still look like they just came out of the box.

Back an sides always protected with an scosche foldio style case so the back looks new.

Cosmetically and hardware wise no issues.

iOS keeps getting better although 5.1 on the iPad 1 showed the age of the machine compared to the iPad 3.

No regrets.

17. brand macrumors 601

brand

I'm not what you would call a heavy iPad user. I mean I could loose about 10 pounds but definitely not what I would call heavy. :eek:

18. blow45 macrumors 68000

both my ipad 1 and 2 have shown a decrease in both performance and battery, a very slight one in performance (the 1 is still on ios 4.something and I dread updating it by fear of it becoming slower), a marked one in battery of about half to an hour.

19. chris7777 macrumors 6502

Thank you .

My kid sister couldnt tell me that to save my life on her ipad 1 she won at college. Didn't even want an ipod touch, but shes had that thing going on 2 years now.

If I can score a craigslist ipad 2 for $250ish or so, I think that the route Im planning on going and if the 4th gen is what I am hoping it will be then sell the 2 and get the newest.

I want the new one and retina is awesome, but since the physical sensors are the same AFAIK, then other than sweet retina Goodness, I could get similar performance drawing on it then I could settle for a half priceish ipad 2.

20. koigirl macrumors 6502a

koigirl

I use my iPad very heavily. I started with original iPad on launch day which I gifted to my son the next year on iPad 2 launch day and then this spring gifted iPad 2 to my husband when iPad 3 launched. All three units are going strong. My husband and son probably don't use their iPads quite as many hours per day but their machines are still getting daily use (at least 1-2 hours worth per day) and are running just fine!