Question for high end MacBook experts (the black model)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by TheKingIV, Apr 14, 2008.

1. TheKingIV macrumors member

I see that in a most ways the black MacBook is actually the same as the high end MacBook Pro...More hard drive, same RAM, etc.

Why is the low end MacBook Pro worth 500 more dollars??

A few other things...

1) I LOVE garageband...Does the high end MacBook have the most updated version? When does the next version of garageband come out?

2) When is the MacBook being updated?? I was going to get a new one at the beginning of may, but if an update is coming I can wait.

3)Is there any way to plug a cable from TV into my mac and record programs directly on to my computer?

I want to record college football games and put them on there if possible...

Thanks!

2. hishat macrumors regular

hishat

i presume its because of the increase in screen size and graphics card

everything comes at a price.

hope this helped

3. pyr0sphere macrumors regular

The Macbook Pro is more expensive because:
    Dedicated graphics card
    Larger and better screen

The next Macbook update should be around June?

All Apple products should come with the most up-to-date version of iLife. If not, you can just update for free

4. TheKingIV thread starter macrumors member

When you say the next macbook update is coming around June, are you saying I should wait until then?

Or should I just go ahead and get it?

And with the ilife thing (which I'm guessing garageband falls under), when a new garageband does come out, I can just update it for free for as long as I have my Mac?

Thanks for the help guys!

5. n1ght macrumors member

If a new version if the iLife suite comes out, you will have to pay to upgrade. Standard price is $79.

6. amoda macrumors 6502a

As mentioned earlier the Macbook Pro has several stuff the Macbook lacks. Such as the larger, and better screen, the dedicated graphic card, aluminum, and thinner, enclosure, backlight...and yeah...that's all I can think off.

About updates, it varies. Updates within the same product version are free. For example, updating from Mac OS X 10.5.0 to 10.5.1, 10.5.2, 10.5.3...10.5.x is free. But to go from 10.5.x to 10.6.0 costs money.

Same thing with iLife. Updates within the same product are free, anything else costs $$$. Think of it as going from Office XP to Office 2007.

7. TheKingIV thread starter macrumors member

That is a great analogy...Thank you.

What is your opinion on the possible "update" of MacBooks...Should I wait until June or July to buy the computer, or will the difference in the computers before and after the updates be negligible?

8. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

The possible June update will definitely include the change to the Montevina microchip architecture, which should yield some speed increase, although the improvement is a matter of debate. The interesting question is whether or not Apple will redesign the MacBook and MacBook Pro cases. Stylistically, that could be worth waiting for depending on your point of view.

I like the idea of getting a computer when you need it and only waiting if it's no skin off your nose.

9. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

the casing right now is fine. i like the plastic material and it doesnt crack as easy as people are saying. just take care of it...put it in a sleeve or sumthing. it alsoo doesnt heat as fast as it has been said it has before. i love itt. u can see my specs below

10. TheKingIV thread starter macrumors member

I prefer the plastic case anyways...

So in terms of actual COMPUTER performance...There will not be much of a difference after the update in June?

Or enough of a difference to justify waiting?

11. imfrog2002 macrumors 6502

Screen size, metal casing, and graphics card, probably.

Yes, all macs have the latest version of iLife, which includes garageband, and nobody knows. Also, you will have to pay $79 for the next version of iLife, but it probably won't be until closer to the end of the year.

Not sure. There MIGHT be an update, but it's up to you if you want to wait. With Apple, there's always another update just around the corner.

Elgato It's a great service. A bit pricey, but they have AWESOME software. I have the 250 plus, and it's been great.