Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Superhob

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Did you get the imac in its white box (the one with the picture of imac on the outside), or did you get the imac inside 2 boxes essentially (the white one inside another brown box)?

The reason I ask is because my relative just got an imac 20 inch from the Apple online store and he got just the white box. Apparently it was banged up a bit during transport and he's pretty miffed.

I always thought that Apple put the product box inside another box, or at least that's been my experience.

Nonetheless, he likes the imac, but now he's considering buying the Applecare just in case all the banging may have caused some problems that would crop up later down the road...

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
I received it in the white box only. All the laptops I have ordered have come in two boxes though.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
Yes, FedEx beat up my box too......and when he sat it down on the ground for me to sign for......he sat it sideways. I was PO'd and let him know about it.....b/c you can see clearly that the top has a handle, not the side. That along with many other instances has led me to really not like FedEx.

yellow5

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2005
My PowerMac box was roughed up a bit during shipping. So much in fact that the UPC code was unreadable, and made it a bit difficult to sign up for the Student Union promo.

That and the fact that I had to sign for a $30 lock and not my $4000 computer. :rolleyes:

SHADY.

Verto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2005
Denton, TX
Superhob said:
Did you get the imac in its white box (the one with the picture of imac on the outside), or did you get the imac inside 2 boxes essentially (the white one inside another brown box)?

The reason I ask is because my relative just got an imac 20 inch from the Apple online store and he got just the white box. Apparently it was banged up a bit during transport and he's pretty miffed.

I always thought that Apple put the product box inside another box, or at least that's been my experience.

Nonetheless, he likes the imac, but now he's considering buying the Applecare just in case all the banging may have caused some problems that would crop up later down the road...

My iMac was shipped in the white box alone, and was far from pristine. However, while Applecare is a good move to make regardless of how it arrived, I wouldn't worry about the condition of the computer based solely on the appearance of the box, since another cardboard box wouldn't have offered much more protection.

Superhob

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Verto said:
My iMac was shipped in the white box alone, and was far from pristine. However, while Applecare is a good move to make regardless of how it arrived, I wouldn't worry about the condition of the computer based solely on the appearance of the box, since another cardboard box wouldn't have offered much more protection.

I know what you mean about applecare. I told him to wait, since he has one year to buy it, and see if the imac acts up. I'm surprised to hear that he's not the only one that got the box in a shoddy condition.

Alter Ego

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2005
Australia
Superhob said:

Were there holes in the box? Or was it just smashed up? Any evidence that it had been dropped or thrown around?

I'm getting my iMac G5 next month and I'm a bit worried it'll get damaged during shipping.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Actually I ordered mine over the phone, but it also came in just the white box. Luckily it wasn't too beatup though.
AppleCare is a no brainer, you have to get it. It's one of those things, you may waste $100 or save yourself $4000. $100 isn't that much. Besides, it allows you to call up AppleCare for any questions, trust me, it can come in handy even if you think you already know everything ;)

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Ordered from Apple Online... received it in the white box, banged up, but the machine... well, the optical drive was busted and essentially took 3 weeks to fix supposedly because a part was backordered. *shrugg*

MacFan25863

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
I bought mine direct from an actual store (Northridge Apple Store) and it was still pretty beat up. My school ordered iMacs, eMacs, and PowerMacs from Apple Online and they were beat up too. The Powerbook box was in good condition though.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
My cinema display box was a little dirty, when it arrived, but overall in decent shape. I figured those boxes are approximately the same size, so I thought my input might still be valuable.

I find Fedex is very gentle on my packages. UPS are the ones where I get opened packages and whatnot. I guess it depends on luck and your region maybe.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
My iMac G5 and my Powerbook both came in just their apple boxes. I never had a problem with them being banged up though. They were both fine.

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
My iMac 17inch is on its way. I would expect there to be little damage to the unit, even if the box is bashed in. We shall see I guess. I also took the advice of many from these forums and bought the Applecare - it's the first time I've taken out any extended warranty for ANYTHING, but I'm still keen on this machine.

sebisworld

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2003
White box only (actually, it was rather black from all the dirt). The TNT guy congratulated me for my purchase.

LGRW3919

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2005
cupertino (no joke)
apple box only, but the box was in decent shape compared to what i've been hearing in this thread. i am considering applecare, but i still have until next august to decide. i hope everything turns out fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.