Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cec2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2011
I am a new iPad owner, so I apologize if this concern seems obvious or old news, but I'm having some confusion with this app, which I just purchased.

As I was reading an 11 page web article last night on my iPad/Safari, I remembered hearing about this app, and purchased it this morning. I added the 'Read Later' link to my bookmark bar with no problems. Then I realized....the app was saving only the page that it was on...not the whole article, which was the entire point of buying the app. I looked around for instructions on how to save the whole article quickly and easily, which, when reading news articles waxing poetic about the app, and how it is a 'must have,' seems to be it's #1 selling point.

Meanwhile, on my Mac, I simply clicked the 'Reader' button, emailed the article to myself, and read the beautifully and perfectly saved article, seamlessly, right there in my email on my iPad. Granted, my email is not offline.

Then, after doing a bit more research, I learned that IOS 5 will have the 'reader' capability.

I feel like I've just wasted $5, which is not the end of the world, but still....

At this point, I would just like to know how, if possible, to save multipage articles within Instapaper, quickly and easily. Am I missing something? Thanks ahead of time for any assistance.

Last edited:

LostLogik

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
I've pretty much given up on using Instapaper now, which in a way is a shame, as I used to use it loads before I got my iPad and only had my iPhone. And yes, it would save whole pages, and very well. But on my iPad I tend to look at stuff differently now, using MrReader via Google for regularly visited sites and Evernote for just clipping interesting pages/articles. I can't think when I last used Instapaper.

cec2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2011
I've pretty much given up on using Instapaper now, which in a way is a shame, as I used to use it loads before I got my iPad and only had my iPhone. And yes, it would save whole pages, and very well. But on my iPad I tend to look at stuff differently now, using MrReader via Google for regularly visited sites and Evernote for just clipping interesting pages/articles. I can't think when I last used Instapaper.

Thank you LostLogik. I will definitely look at MrReader.

After doing even more research, I've found that Instapaper does not support multipage saves. You actually have to click on each page separately, and save it separately. I honestly can't believe it. I actually thought saving multipage articles was the main point of the app. After reading so many news articles about how this app 'makes reading long articles offline easy,' and how this app is a 'must have,' I feel duped. I realize a lot of those news articles are older, and from a time when the app was free, but the inability to quickly save multipage articles never seems to be mentioned in any of them, which is a bit of an eyebrow raiser, considering that the app is marketed to people so much in hurry, that they don't even have time to read one web page.

As a new iPad owner, I'm definitely learning that buying any of these apps is a 'caveat emptor' endeavor, and that many iPad 'freshman' will go through the hazing ritual of spending/losing money on products/apps they don't end up liking or using.

LostLogik

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
go through the hazing ritual of spending/losing money on products/apps they don't end up liking or using.

True, but given apps generally are only a few dollars it's not like it's going to break the bank. Granted it's annoying when you find an app is not quite what you wanted but having just bought an ipad2, this cost is pretty insignificant. I've bought quite a few apps trying to find the perfect organiser/note taker/word processor/news reader etc. I've narrowed down my apps to a few key ones and dumped the others but I still keep trying more. Apps constantly evolve.

cec2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2011
True, but given apps generally are only a few dollars it's not like it's going to break the bank. Granted it's annoying when you find an app is not quite what you wanted but having just bought an ipad2, this cost is pretty insignificant. I've bought quite a few apps trying to find the perfect organiser/note taker/word processor/news reader etc. I've narrowed down my apps to a few key ones and dumped the others but I still keep trying more. Apps constantly evolve.

I agree somewhat, but those 'few dollars' can start to add up. For me personally, I've just learned to slow down and do plenty of research before buying. With Instapaper, I just grabbed it based on my assumptions. Next time, I'll dig a little deeper before buying.

j o s h

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2011
After doing even more research, I've found that Instapaper does not support multipage saves. You actually have to click on each page separately, and save it separately.

http://www.instapaper.com/main/support: said:
I’m working on improving this for the future. For now, many users find it helpful to click Read Later on the “Print”, “Printer Friendly”, or “Single Page” versions of articles.

I guess if your article doesn't have those options you're outta luck but just about everything I've wanted to add had it. At the end of the day, though, this is really on Apple for not having trials or returns (I'm in the same boat as you on many other apps).

cec2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2011
I guess if your article doesn't have those options you're outta luck but just about everything I've wanted to add had it. At the end of the day, though, this is really on Apple for not having trials or returns (I'm in the same boat as you on many other apps).

Yes, the long articles I am most interested in have no 'print' option, perhaps by design. However, the Mac Reader did the job.

I deleted the app, and waved a fond farewell to my $5.00. IOS5 Reader and Reading List are coming, and I anticipate that they will do what I'm looking for. I've noticed Reader on my Mac doesn't always grab all the pages either, but it didn't cost extra money.

On the topic of returns..... Amazon has always allowed returns on downloads, and I'm sure they will continue to do that. They are releasing their tablet soon. It will be interesting to see if this provides any competition for Apple, and prompts them to do the same. I doubt it, but we can dream.

Last edited:

swedefish

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2008
I love Instapapers no-frills interface, but I suppose you have a point. For some reason I never had to deal with such articles, but it seems like a flaw that needs fixing. Did you notify the developers?

cec2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2011
I love Instapapers no-frills interface, but I suppose you have a point. For some reason I never had to deal with such articles, but it seems like a flaw that needs fixing. Did you notify the developers?

From what I understand the developer is aware. I'm not one to contact the developer....I'm sure it'll get sorted out at some point. I think to a large degree, the challenge for the developer is how each site is set up. I have no doubt that monetized sites that set up long articles do it the way they do to get you exposed to as many ads as possible, and don't take too kindly to having lengthy multipage articles collated so easily. I have no problem with any of that, and understand it. My only concern was the product description failed to to mention these challenges so that people understand what they are buying.

As far as the iTunes App store, I've now learned to read the 'most critical reviews' first, as you will often find some of the best information there.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.