Question for iPhone 4 owners outside the US.

DELTAsnake

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Australia
I'm in Australia and I'm thinking about going to get a iPhone 4 when there released tomorrow. I'm just wondering if the antenna and dropped call issues are occurring in countries outside the US?

I know with the 3G and 3GS I've had a grand total of just two dropped calls, very different drop call rate to what I hear from people in the US.

mastboy

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2010
Germany
German user here

Hi, i can gladly say I am an iPhone 4 user and have had no dropped calls whatsoever. (Had the phone for 3 weeks now and everything works just fine)

So if you are thinking of getting it... i cannot recommend it enough

go for it mate

echang

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2010
Canadian iPhone 4 User

I occasionally lose 1-2 bars deathgripping the phone in low reception areas, but other than that, no dropped calls since I received it on June 25th.

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
Netherlands

No problems here, I don't have tmobile so that might make a difference...
This phone is much better than the 3GS.

Grayburn

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2010
London, England
Not had one dropped call since i've had the handset (nearly a month now).

Did get signal loss by using the grip of death but never really held it like that anyway,got a bumper now so no problems what so ever.

elie.fares

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2008
Honestly, I haven't dropped a call yet. If you're in a good reception area, the death grip thing might get you down from 5 bars to 3...
Even when I'm in a low reception area and I do the death grip issue, the phone call is sustained at 1 bar.

peterjcat

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2010
It's exactly the same phone released everywhere in the world and has the same issues everywhere. If you're in a very marginal signal area, you'll be able to drop calls with the death grip, otherwise you won't. In the UK, at home, I can drop calls using O2 and Vodafone but not using T-Mobile or 3, just because of where I live. I am 100% certain that there will be places in Australia where you can get calls to drop with the death grip. But if you usually have a fair signal where you are, then you should be fine no matter how you hold the phone.

Bobajobbob

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2005
In Uk and no issues for me. In fact IP4 is better than all previous incarnations of phone as far as I am concerned.

It does appear that the network in the US sucks and this is contributing hugely to the mass hysteria over the IP4.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
The problem is quite clearly repeatable in other countries, but the impact it will have on you is entirely down to how you use the phone.

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island
The problem lies not solely on Apple's iPhone 4 attenuation problem... It is the interplay of signal attenuation and ****** service in many AT&T so called "covered" area.

When I am at 4 or 5 bars location, I can drop it down to probably 2 bars but everything is still good. Unfortunately, if I go to places with 1-2 bars, the death grip problem will basically drop the signal to 0... hereby dropping calls and or data connection

Generally, GSM signals are much better overseas (based on my experience in several countries in Europe and where I'm from in Asia).... So unless you are having constant 2 or 3 bars in your area, it should not be dropping calls

King Luis

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
I occasionally lose 1-2 bars deathgripping the phone in low reception areas, but other than that, no dropped calls since I received it on June 25th.
how did you get yours so early? got it from the US?

for the OP, i saw wait a week when it's released in other countries and then ask around. i've asked your question so many times and got 1 iffy answer.

i'm picking mine up tomorrow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.