Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Although I like my S530 set, I decided I like the Apple keyboard even more, so I'm going to sell the S530 and pick up an Apple bluetooth keyboard and a new mouse. I'm looking at the Logitech Revolution VX, but I have very specific needs for a mouse -- I hope owners can answer me here.

1. The VX is often labeled "for Notebooks". I don't want it to be small and hard to hold like a lot of notebook mice. It looks decently sized in a lot of pictures, but I can't be sure because there's nothing for scale. Would someone mind commenting on this, or better yet, take a picture with your hand on the mouse? Does it feel about right for a normal desktop mouse? I'm not a big guy, and only have moderately sized hands.

2. Button programmability. Can you use something like USB Overdrive or Logitech's own drivers to program the buttons on the mouse in OS X? I want the button on top, under the scroll wheel, to be able to activate Expose, and of course the thumb buttons to be set to command-] and command-[ to go back and forth in FireFox. Finally, as an added bonus, I wonder if USB Overdrive or the like can pick up the Zoom buttons on the VX, so I can reprogram them to do things like change system volume.

There's a rebate on the VX that only lasts a few more days, so hopefully someone can shed some light on this quickly. Thank you!

EDIT: One additional, critical question: how easy is it to middle click (click down the scroll wheel) with this mouse? I middle-click all day to open links in new tabs and close tabs in FireFox, and a mouse without an easy middle click is worthless to me.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
I just found this thread that pretty much answers my first question about the size...looks like lengthwise it's the same as the MM, so it's not too small.

Would still appreciate hearing feedback on how flexible the button programmability is (including the "zoom" buttons) and if the middle click is usable.

And I guess one additional question...does anyone have an opinion on whether the MX is worth the extra $20?

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
I'll issue one more request for responses here, specifically about the middle click action on the wheel. Most of my other questions have been answered by piecing together various reviews. It appears to be as programmable as I want it to be, and the size shouldn't be a problem.

Can someone please just comment on the middle click?

breakaway01

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2006
I have the Revolution VX and am very happy with it.

It is a good size for me and I would say that I have medium-sized hands.

I would highly recommend Steermouse drivers. There was an issue with the Logitech drivers not working with 10.4.8 though I did not bother trying them as not all of the buttons are configurable through the Logitech drivers or through USB Overdrive. The Steermouse drivers allow all of the VX buttons to be remapped, including the zoom slider.

http://plentycom.jp/en/steermouse/

I do not typically use the scroll wheel button (what you call the "middle button") but it is not difficult to press.

Hope this helps,

Andrew

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
I actually have the setup you are about to get (Apple wireless KB + VX Revolution). Anyways, the VX fits perfectly in my hands and I don't have large hands either. You may want to drop by Circuit City or Best Buy and just test out the feel. The buttons can be programmed for a specific function. I don't use the middle "search" button at all..

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
You can do most of that programming in the Logitech Control Center. I like my VX a lot and the size is perfect for my hands.

The LCC allows for configuration of the middle click wheel:
picture2ez8.jpg

The Advanced Click allows for various combinations:
picture1xh4.jpg

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

stinter

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2007
LA
Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents in agreement with this being agreat mouse.

It is a perfect fit and feels like a full size mouse. I've been using it for about 6 months no problems and some thumb pain has actually gone away since I started using it.

I've found the Logitech control panel good enough for the limited programming I did for the buttons.

I have found that the latest version (which I was scared to install after reading some bad reviews) works better on my shinny new MBP than the version out when I bought it ran on my old 1.25 15" PowerBook

The scroll wheel is great. Much cooler than I expected.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Thanks for all the replies, guys!

You can do most of that programming in the Logitech Control Center. I like my VX a lot and the size is perfect for my hands.

The LCC allows for configuration of the middle click wheel:
<snip>

The Advanced Click allows for various combinations:
<snip>

Sesshi, you're awesome...thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for. I see I can program the buttons exactly the way I want...mouse button three for the scroll wheel, Expose for the search button, and volume for the zoom slider. Fantastic. I just ordered one from NewEgg so I can take advantage of the rebate (getting it for $40 shipped), and should have it by the weekend.

Once again, thank you all for the opinions. I wish the mouse was BlueTooth, but other than that I'm looking forward to my fantastic new wireless setup.

redmeister

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2007
damn that is a pimp mouse with that shot of all the programmable options like that. mice have "evolved" since i last bought one several years ago haha

now that i got my new macbook i think ill have to pick one of these badboys up too! nice post/replies!

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
I just wanted to let everyone know that I got my VX and I love it, for the most part. The size was a touch odd at first (it's very "squat"), but I quickly got used to it. The tracking is great, the free-flying scroll wheel is awesome. The only part I'm not that happy with is the zoom slider, which I'm using for volume control. It feels cheap and doesn't always register my presses. Other than that though, fantastic mouse!

micsaund

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2004
Colorado, USA
Yeah, and the VX "laptop" version isn't BT either. I just cannot figure-out why these companies continue to make non BT mice, where you have stick this dongle tumor into a USB slot (and risk breaking it off especially with a laptop) when almost every laptop ships with built-in BT these days! :confused:

I've got a MX900 BT mouse I use with my MB and it has the occasional stuttering/skipping problems when rolling over UI elements, so I'm on the lookout for a newer, hopefully fully functional, BT mouse and the VX looks perfect -- If only it was BT...

Mike

OC Lakerfan

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2007
The Logitech Controller Center caused my MBP to crash on many different occasions which forced you to reboot. My friend used to work for Apple and it did the same thing on his Mac Pro. I do not recommend it at all. I recommend getting the steermouse drivers. You can get it from version tracker. Version tracker also talks about issues about the LCC.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
^ Yup, I wound up using Steermouse with my new VX, because LCC was constantly crashing and/or just not saving my settings. Well, it would save them, but the changes wouldn't apply. Buggy piece of crap. Steermouse is the best.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.