Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
Got a 42mm S2 SS with Link bracelet. Used my old 38mm Sport only at gym, intend to wear the S2 full time (Sport strap at gym).

I know I can use both watches and retain activity data across both - quite surprised and impressed by that actually - but really I'd rather just use the new one all the time.

For anyone who has had a Link Bracelet for a while and changed bands a lot, how is the connection between strap/bracelet and the watch holding up after many changes? Any reliability issues to report like a looser connection or anything?

Cheers

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
The band mechanism likely has a MTBF rating that FAR exceeds the battery cycle life no matter how often you change.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I liked the link bracelet except for the fact that you could not change it's size on the fly. I know you can remove a link but who wants to do that every time you exercise and are hoping for a constant HR reading.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
The band mechanism likely has a MTBF rating that FAR exceeds the battery cycle life no matter how often you change.

I expected as much, but worth asking given I'll swap the Link Bracelet for the sport almost every day.

I liked the link bracelet except for the fact that you could not change it's size on the fly. I know you can remove a link but who wants to do that every time you exercise and are hoping for a constant HR reading.

I know what you mean, I've got a Tudor Pelagos mechanical and its fine adjustment bracelet is magnificent. Fortunately, taking (I forgot how many) links off each side of my Link Bracelet has resulted in a perfect fit so far, I've gone through a cycle of warmth and cold and the AW has gone from just right to only slightly looser. Will be using Sport band exclusively for exercise, can't imagine using the Link bracelet for sweaty activities.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I expected as much, but worth asking given I'll swap the Link Bracelet for the sport almost every day.

I know what you mean, I've got a Tudor Pelagos mechanical and its fine adjustment bracelet is magnificent. Fortunately, taking (I forgot how many) links off each side of my Link Bracelet has resulted in a perfect fit so far, I've gone through a cycle of warmth and cold and the AW has gone from just right to only slightly looser. Will be using Sport band exclusively for exercise, can't imagine using the Link bracelet for sweaty activities.

I have seen posts where some have even "biased" the number of links removed from each side to make the AW fit even better.

Enjoy!

Reactions: yegon

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I've had the link bracelet for over a year. Swap bands frequently. Mechanically, the bracelet is holding up excellently.

Reactions: yegon

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point

This is a silly statement. I change my link band usually twice a day as my body adjusts to drinking/losing water. Usually remove one in the morning and replace it towards the late afternoon. Both changes included takes me about 30 seconds (15 seconds each link removal/addition). I usually leave the one extra link right on my desk since I tend to start and end my day there. This reason alone persuaded me to keep my apple link when I was starting to doubt my need for the more expensive purchase.

I have seen posts where some have even "biased" the number of links removed from each side to make the AW fit even better.

Enjoy!

When I am wearing the extra link towards the end of the day (read above) I put the odd number of links on the outside of my wrist so that if it does shift it tends to shift to the inside making it easier to read without having to adjust my watch back towards me every time....if that makes sense.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
This is a silly statement. I change my link band usually twice a day as my body adjusts to drinking/losing water. Usually remove one in the morning and replace it towards the late afternoon. Both changes included takes me about 30 seconds (15 seconds each link removal/addition). I usually leave the one extra link right on my desk since I tend to start and end my day there. This reason alone persuaded me to keep my apple link when I was starting to doubt my need for the more expensive purchase.

I think "silly" is that you add and remove links to your watch during the day.

If it make you happy but betting
few are willing to do this.

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point

I think "silly" is that you add and remove links to your watch during the day.

If it make you happy but betting
few are willing to do this.

Well to clarify my wrist changes size throughout the day. In the morning it is rather thin so I remove the link from the evening before. Around 1-2pm it is slightly thicker causing it to be a little to snug for my liking so put the link back in and repeat.

I have a decently nice fossil watch (nice for me since I never really wore watches except in boot camp and they were a timex or something) and since I am unable to adjust the band on the fly, it is rather large and uncomfortable to wear as it moves to much on my wrist. Though this watch usually makes a decent evening attire watch since it tends to fit better in the afternoon. This inconvenience caused me to slowly wear it less and less to work or any other daytime functions.

So sorry your body is different from the average human and doesn't adjust to fluid intake throughout the day, or sorry your wrist is the perfect size for the links without being slightly in between one size or a link less. Anyway, I wonder why apple made I so easy to adjust...? Oh that's right the average person fluctuates just like me!

Last edited:
Reactions: ZebraDude

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Well to clarify my wrist changes size throughout the day. In the morning it is rather thin so I remove the link from the evening before. Around 1-2pm it is slightly thicker causing it to be a little to snug for my liking so put the link back in and repeat.

I have a decently nice fossil watch (nice for me since I never really wore watches except in boot camp and they was a timed or something) and since I am unable to adjust the band on the fly, it is rather large and uncomfortable to wear as it moves to much on my wrist. Though this watch usually makes a decent evening attire watch since it tends to fit better in the afternoon. This inconvenience to me cause me to slowly wear it less and less to work or any other daytime functions.

So sorry your body is different from the average human and doesn't adjust to fluid intake throughout the day, or sorry your wrist is the perfect size for the links without being slightly in between one size or a link less. Anyway, I wonder why apple made I so easy to adjust...? Oh that's right the average person fluctuates just like me!

I am afraid I am only mortal and my wrists change size, too. I use the leather loops on my AW which are adjustable on the fly.

I am "so sorry" you are "so sorry", no need to be, it is just a forum.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
I've had the link bracelet for over a year. Swap bands frequently. Mechanically, the bracelet is holding up excellently.
That's really good to hear.

I've been looking but there's not much info on the bracelet's durability. Don't know if that's because they're rare, or because their owners have nothing to report?

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
That's really good to hear.

I've been looking but there's not much info on the bracelet's durability. Don't know if that's because they're rare, or because their owners have nothing to report?
The only durability concern I've read so far was some butterfly clasps not snapping shut reliably. The consensus was that they were getting twisted when you removed the bracelet from the watch unevenly; Apple's directions say to first undo one of the removable links so you can remove each half from the watch body individually.

Oh, and there was one instance of a button falling off of one of the removable links.

That's about it, though. Sounds like it's doing pretty well for most people.

Reactions: Arran
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.