Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RecentlyConverted

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Hi, a question for you LTE owners.

Can you make and receive calls when the Watch is on charge, there is no WiFi and you havent got your iPhone?

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Sure it works on cellular not sure if your use case makes much sense. With the addition of the Wi-Fi Toggle in the watch Control center it makes it very easy to test.

I actually tested a version of your use case, I put my iPhone in Airplane mode, Toggled Wi-Fi off on the watch, put it on the charger (need to enter password to unlock) and as expected I was able to make and receive cellular calls.

Dave

Reactions: Senfinger

RecentlyConverted

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Thank you Dave for testing.

I want to get an LTE versión when they are supported where I live. I am just thinking ahead. If I use it a lot and I have to recharge it during the day ( using a portable battery charger) I want to know I am still contactable. Does the passcode time out ( as on previous versions) whilst on charge, or is incoming calls when there is no nearby iPhone not affected by passcode? As earlier non LTE watches don’t ring when they are on charge.

Thanks in advance.

Resqu2

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011

I want to get an LTE versión when they are supported where I live. I am just thinking ahead. If I use it a lot and I have to recharge it during the day ( using a portable battery charger) I want to know I am still contactable. Does the passcode time out ( as on previous versions) whilst on charge, or is incoming calls when there is no nearby iPhone not affected by passcode? As earlier non LTE watches don’t ring when they are on charge.

Thanks in advance.

Not sure you need to worry about battery life, I charge my S3 LTE every three days, at the end of the 3rd day I have around 15 percent. This usually includes at least one hour of exercise using the watch app.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East

Thanks in advance.
I am not sure what you mean passcode time out but if you have a passcode set then your watch will auto-lock as soon as you remove the watch. That really does not matter since while on a charger the watch can still receive incoming cellular calls or Wi-FI calls if enabled.

Dave

RecentlyConverted

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
I am not sure what you mean passcode time out but if you have a passcode set then your watch will auto-lock as soon as you remove the watch. That really does not matter since while on a charger the watch can still receive incoming cellular calls or Wi-FI calls if enabled.

Dave

Thanks Dave, so just to clarify the watch is securely locked, but it’s still possible to receive calls.

That’s excellent. Just need a local provider to support the watch and I will be getting a nice SS one.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
You are correct. It works the same way your iPhone works when your iPhone is locked and is being charged. Locked or unlocked, your watch will ring while on charge.

Note: Just like your iPhone, your watch must be charged above the minimum battery reserve to fully function.

Dave

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.