Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

liontamer67

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
East Coast
Hi! Does anyone know if there is a shortcut in Mac that allows you to copy the path of a file? My co-worker wants to send me an email with the path of a file on the external harddrive (synology 212+) that we share. Anyone know how this is done? He is using 10.6.8 and I am using 10.7. Thank you!!!:confused:

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
Hi! Does anyone know if there is a shortcut in Mac that allows you to copy the path of a file? My co-worker wants to send me an email with the path of a file on the external harddrive (synology 212+) that we share. Anyone know how this is done? He is using 10.6.8 and I am using 10.7. Thank you!!!:confused:

What if you click Get Info on the file, then in the resulting Info window, under General ->Where, you'll find the path which you can copy & then paste.

liontamer67

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
East Coast
thanks we tried it but it copies the path but no link to it. seriously he is 5 feet away from me. I told him just print it out for me. ugh!

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
This might a really stupid thing to say, but what if he creates an alias to the file (right click, create alias) and then e-mail that alias to you?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I use this AppleScript frequently to direct people to file paths:
I've modified it to replace my username, making results look like this with a single click:
/Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences/com.apple.desktop.plist​

Another simple method is to open TextEdit and press Command-Shift-T to change the format to plain text. Then drag the file from Finder into the TextEdit window. The path will appear, which you can copy and paste.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
If your friend goes to Finder, selects the file, and drags it to the Mail Subject field - he needs to have selected the subject field - it will paste the path (dragging to the compose window inserts the file as an attachment)

If you want a link, you can put file:// in front, eg.
file:///Users/plinden/Downloads/somefile.txt

Edit - just realized that's what GGJstudios is suggesting in the last part of his post - if you drag a file from Finder to any plain text based field or window in any application, you'll get the path.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.