Question for macbook and iPad users.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gc15, Feb 25, 2014.

1. gc15 macrumors regular

Im just curious how much you use one device compared to the other, and why you choose to use that said device more.

I recently purchased a retina iPad mini because since I'm in grad school i thought i would use it for reading pdfs and using it in class to highlight power points. However, after having it for two weeks, i noticed i was barely using the thing for school and it was mostly becoming a device to use at home as a media consumption. This isn't bad by any means, but my macbook pro was just better for me in the school setting besides reading my notes. I ended up returning the mini just cause i needed the money for a different purchase and it made me realize maybe i would need an air to actually take advantage using an iPad for school actives. Plus since i was mainly using it for home anyways, the real estate of the bigger screen would be better.

2. DiCaprioAngel macrumors 6502

I purchased my rMBP as motivation to go back to school (been taking a 3 year long break and it's about time I head back to college) and I have readmitted myself, I'm just waiting to hear back from my college. The laptop will be my main use for school purposes. I bought a retina iPad Mini because I wanted an e-reader as well as a good tablet that plays games and could stream Netflix and have a great display. The iPad is mostly for entertainment purposes and I use it most when I'm out of the house, otherwise my laptop is my main source for computing. I, personally, would always stick with a laptop for school related tasks and iPads as an entertainment device.

3. nickdylan macrumors regular

I use both for different things. The MacBook is for writing and research, the iPad is for playing games, browsing the internet for fun, and reading newspapers/magazines/graphic novels. Browsing is super convenient because iCloud saves the sites I have open, so I can transition seamlessly from reading a site on the iPad to the MacBook or vice versa (or my phone for that matter). I used to use the laptop for email as well, but since I started using Mailbox I've started doing a lot of email management on my iPad as well. There's definitely a bit of overlap, but in general I use the iPad for content consumption and the MacBook for content creation, just as you'd expect.

4. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Macbook Pro I use daily for working, editing, processing, email. My workhorse.

iPad is mostly for a photography portfolio and other business stuff. Traveling light. I don't have to bring my MBP, I can use the iPad. Also, I use it for reading, gaming, movies, etc

iPad is like an accessory to my Macbook Pro.

If you have both, then decide what you want to use if for. There are so many apps out there that you can customize it to your needs.

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I have an ipad4 and an rMBP 13" . They serve different purposes, my MacBook is an editing tool for photos and Logic files, whereas my IPad is really an entertainment device...it's light, sits nicely on my little tray in its case, and provides streaming from my media library as well as games and internet surfing.

I write emails on it, but I've never considered it to be an all out work tool...Now and then I'll use Pages but on the whole it's for fun:)

6. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

Sometimes I like to sit in my chair. Sometimes I like to sit in my bed.

Sometimes I like to read on my rMini. Sometimes I like to read on my rMBP.

I like choices and I like gadgets.

7. sixrom macrumors 6502a

My 15" Retina MacBook Pro sees heavy daily use at work and home.

The iPads I have, a mini retina and Air, are low usage devices for casual surfing, easy to grab if I need to Google something, etc.

Recreational fun usage, nothing essential.

8. Helical-dNTP macrumors newbie

I'm currently a senior finishing my degree and will be entering grad school soon. I've had an ipad 2 since they were first released and am waiting on my rmbp which is in preparation for grad school, otherwise I've used the uni's computers for all my computer needs. I actually went through 2 macbooks in nov/dec and decided to return and wait a few months in hopes apple can work out the kinks.

I use my ipad in every class, Spanish less than others. I find it quite helpful being able to pull up power points, lecture notes, and various websites for quick reviews and research. I'm a note taker so I use it in conjunction with my spiral. It's size is really the advantage. I can prop it up and look over notes while writing additional pieces of info. When I had my rmbp I used it more in the library and at home, being able to write papers and research multiple topics at once. They are both good learning tools, with the laptop being more of the workhorse. Of all the people in my classes that use electronic devices, it's probably 60/40 for ipad vs laptop respectively. A lot of students take notes on their ipad using various apps, then send the notes to the cloud or a computer. I'm glad I have both to help in my endeavors.

Do what's comfortable and makes you most productive and knowledgeable. Best wishes in your pursuits. GO SHOCKERS!!!

9. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

I have both MBP and iPad and I use both very frequently.
    In art school we have to do a lot of concept drawings, or we should any way. Using the iPad to draw and have easy editing capability before transferring to more powerful software is invaluable.

I also use the iPad as a secondary display from time to time with AirDisplay, however it's iffy at best because of the WiFi in my area, it's terrible if sharing with others. What they really need to do is have a USB enable secondary display function, that would make my life SO much easier.

When making eBooks it's good to have the iPad for reading the proofs, make sure everything scales properly before publishing/exporting

Overall having both is great, I thought I would sell the iPad when the MBP arrived but just can't part with it, will probably upgrade when a new iPad Air is released with some ungodly power.

10. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

11. rex450se macrumors regular

I get on my rMBP most of the time regardless of what I'm doing. But when the wife and I are watching a show and it's nothing I'm not to engrossed in, I will get on the iPad mini, or when laying in bed those last few minutes before I go to sleep. It usually stays on my nightstand daily. But 90% of the time I am on my rMBP, I'll go days without using the iPad mini.

Victor

12. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

I bought an ipad 2nd gen when it came out on a whim (I was having a bad week and wanted to spoil myself). I loved it for traveling so that I could read books, play games, browse the net (I hate typing on touch screens though.. anything beyond simple searches annoys me like typing a paper).

Anyway, I still use it from time to time, like in hotels so that I can watch Netflix in the room (through the TV). However, I just bought a new 15" MBP which obviously is more powerful for my needs, but I will still take the ipad for trips. It's not as good for reading outside like a kindle, but if you're on a plane/train it's fine IMO. The battery life on the ipad is great as well.

My philosophy is: if you got the money, spend it.

I have always been a PC guy (still am somewhat because my main computer is a gaming beast), but I have wanted to get more involved with music... recording rather than just messing around. I used pro tools se that came with an Avid mbox but I didn't like it on the PC as much as I like it for OSX.

13. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I use my iPad for most of my media consumption - web browsing, this forum, email, books, videos, etc. I use my MBP for Aperture, typing, writing code, and data management. I wouldn't want to be without either but the iPad makes it easier to not use the MBP for longer periods.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I find my rMBP to be a better product to get my job done and general usage over my rMini. With that said, I prefer my rMini for reading books and some like activities while I'm out and about. Its easier to use my rMiniwhen I'm commuting or taking my kids somewhere :)

15. Cassady macrumors 6502a

Cassady

Or look at getting ActionsApp for Ipad, and use your iPad in conjunction with your MBP. Changed the way I work - I remain stunned this app hasn't received more traction - it's brilliant.

16. Gman021 macrumors regular

As others have said, I use my macbook pro for heavy stuff and prolonged internet sessions.

I'm at college so I use my ipad between classes and to study pdf's.

17. Jambalaya macrumors 6502a

I had a Mini and a MacBook when I got my iPad1. After a few months of not using the MacBook at all I gave it to my daughter. For me I need one mobile device (strictly two as I have the phone) and a base machine, for me that base machine is a mini. I don't see the point of two portable devices.

18. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Laptop for everything except replying emails, generally done on the iPad. Also use the iPad for good reader and PDF collection.

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Depending on how you use them, dictates how you may need both portable devices. While I can use an iPad to remotely connect to a server at work, doesn't mean I really want too over the course of a day. Likewise now with Mavericks, I can read something from my iBooks collection but honestly wiping out my MBP on the subway to read a book is not really ideal ;)

I have two very different needs that both products fill differently. The laptop handles some tasks better so I use that, others the iPad

20. magnumpi macrumors member

MBP for work, iPad for fun. The only exception is when it comes to write down remarks, highlight text and such on PDFs, easier on the iPad if you happen to have a stylus.