Question for macbook users

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jc0481, Oct 11, 2007.

1. jc0481 macrumors regular

I have a macbook and whenever I go to youtube.com to see videos my fans start off slowly and get louder and run full blast when I have multiple tabs opened on youtube.com and when I watch only one or two. When I close the tabs and go to a site that does not have flash video on it it goes back to its quiet self. I am just wondering if this is normal?? Because I know flash consumes a lot of the cpu. I hope this is normal. I asked an Apple Genius the other day and he did not know. Hope you guys know. Thank you

JC

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Yea, video usually kicks up my fans whether it's online video or just using Quicktime. I usually have a number of applications open too so that is probably part of it as well.

3. MacAodh macrumors regular

my macbook has similar problems... it gets very hot and the fans go ten to the dozen... Biggest problem is when I'm just watching a dvd or something, can't use the internal speakers at all... just too loud

4. tuftywhite macrumors member

Same for me.

5. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

It is normal. Hell, when I used to visit break.com last year their flash player implementation was so horrible that it consumed 100% of the CPU of my old iBook. Luckily they have fixed it.

6. d_saum macrumors 6502

d_saum

same same

7. capoeirista macrumors 6502

+1 here too. Just got to live with it I suppose.

8. lost eden macrumors 6502a

If you're watching the videos full-screen then yes it is only expected for the fan to speed up - upscaling video on-the-fly is extremely processor intensive, especially if it's handling any smoothing/resampling in the process.