Question for Macpro Owners.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by cooljoe349, Aug 30, 2011.

1. cooljoe349 macrumors regular

cooljoe349

So I have a 2008 Macpro the 8 core 2.8ghz with about 10 gigs of ram and gtx 285 the 1gig one.

I am debating maybe going mbp/cinema display. I feel the macpro is just very big and takes up so much room. Looking over the specs its very close with my Macpro thats the macbook pro 2011 15" model quad core one.

What do you guys think? I figured instead of having a macpro/macbook air I can combine the two.

2. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

You may miss the GPU and Memory limitations of the MBP. You'd be downgrading there.

3. papoopeepoo macrumors member

The speed may be comparable, and usability may be up to par, depending upon what you use your tower for.

Just be wary that the MacBooks, obviously, use notebook parts. These parts, as compared to your tower, are powered down to make the computer useable under battery power and, also, more compact. The MBP is very fast by any terms, but will not handle a heavy workload nearly as cleanly or quietly as your tower.

Like derbohaus said, your upgradability takes a major blow when you downgrade to the notebook.

If you don't need the portability I recommend sticking with your MP.

4. ulfath, Aug 30, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2011

ulfath macrumors newbie

5. vaderhater245 macrumors 6502

Stick with your MP.

I push 12 hour days with a 2011 MBP doing heavy design work and lately I've started shopping for a MP for use of the extra cores/ram.

You still got a few years in that thing.