Question for native or fluent Spanish speakers

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by vrDrew, Jul 22, 2016.

1. vrDrew macrumors 65816

A store near where I live has a sign that says (in English) "No Loitering"

In English the word "loiter" means, at least when applied to public or private property, the act of hanging around, potentially with the intention of stealing and/or vandalizing the property should the opportunity arise.

The Spanish translation underneath, however, prohibits "reuniones en grupo"

My Spanish is not very good, but I would translate that as "group meetings" - and that (according to my Spanish-English dictionary) there is a verb "holgazanear" and a noun "vagancia"

Did the store just do a bad job of translating from the English? How do stores in Mexico and Madrid discourage teenage kids from hanging around threatening to cause mischief?

2. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Now, first of all, I have to admit that I don't know Spanish.

However, language - and the nuances of language - does interest me, and I have studied a number of others.

Of those verbs you have mentioned, what is the difference between them? How do they calibrate - or define - or differentiate - between them?

And, then, what about the noun? Does 'grupo' have a different flavour to other nouns which might describe a number of people who have gathered in a place for a reason?