Question for newly purchased 2016 Refurb MBP owners?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by The Loaf, Mar 29, 2017.

1. The Loaf macrumors newbie

Must replace my constantly panicking 2010 MBP. I'd like to buy the newest 15" version, but am leery of the keyboard issues, among other things, of this model. I would wait for the next model, but can't really work like this for much longer. I could get a discontinued 2015 model (not ideal), or maybe a mini to tide me over, but would rather spend $ on the newest technology. So it's bite the bullet and take a chance new, but just wondering if the refurb models that have been coming out from Apple recently have possibly had whatever work is necessary to resolve the keyboard problems? Do they give their refurbs a thorough "going-over" before putting them back on the market?

Anyway, thank you for any insight/feedback.

2. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

The refurbished ones are fully covered and "checked out" but they have the same risk as a brand new one going wrong even if the KB has been replaced it may still go again.

How common occurrence KB faults are is any ones guess at the moment and AC may go some way to putting your mind at rest, but it's not a simple repair.

3. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Which keyboard issues concern you? By far the most common complaint is that some of the keys get clicky-sounding. I doubt that's been eliminated, based on the continuing reports here. I don't think it bothers most people much, though.

4. Scissors macrumors regular

Scissors

I received a refurb non-touchbar 13"/8GB/512GB from Apple just yesterday.

Apart from the outer packaging being slightly different, the unit itself is completely indistinguishable from new, and I've bought a fair amount of new Apple stuff over the years. Only 5 battery cycles and no faults, marks, scratches whatsoever.

The only problem I have now is deciding whether to keep it. I was previously using various Macs for a decade until a couple of years ago, then I built a PC and ran Windows 10. At the time, it seemed like a step backwards, but I'm afraid to say that now there seems very little between them...

5. robvas macrumors 68020

Keys not responding, getting stuck in the down position, double-letters appearing when you hit the key once

6. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Those issues are far less common than the clickiness. Relatively few people have those issues.

7. mythdemon macrumors newbie

I got my 15" tMBP (2.9/512/460) yesterday, and there are no scratches, marks, or any other obvious signs of defects. The keyboard seems to be working fine (wrote a 500 word article), and I don't see any letter-skipping or double-printing issues. The battery cycle count is 16 as per coconutBattery.

In any case, if anything shows up within 14 days, I'll have to option to return. Else it's under warranty anyways.

Cheers!