Question for O2 iPad (wifi only) and iPhone users

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by tungstentim, Mar 21, 2011.

1. tungstentim macrumors regular

tungstentim

Hi,
    I hope someone can answer my question as I'm planning on joining the fight on Friday to get an ipad2.

What I'd like to know is about tethering an iPhone4 to an iPad. More specifically If you're say using the iPhone to tether your iPad and then move on to a free wifi or rather a bt openzone one what happens to your data connection does it change on the phone to the bt openzone and keep your iPad tethered ?

As I'm keen on tether from my phone rather than getting a 3G iPad and yet another contract.
    I hope this makes sense.

Tim

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

You change across to the cloud but your still under a limit. It's cheaper to buy a 3G iPad and a 3 payg sim preloaded with data

3. tungstentim thread starter macrumors regular

tungstentim

Thanks. I just wanted to check how it worked.
    I can't justify an extra £100 for the 3G model and only plan to use tethering occasionally. For me it might be cheaper to
    Buy a mifi payg and use it that way.

Thanks again.
    Tim

4. sportsnapper macrumors member

sportsnapper

T-mobile pointer

I had similar issues - not enough out and about usage to justify 3G version, but a definite need for access. I ended up buying a t-mobile MiFi (called pointer) and a payg sim. It't works really well and often gets a better signal than my 3GS iPhone. Being able to connect multiple devices to the net through a single unit that just sits in my pocket is a real bonus. It's also faster than the bluetoth tethering from my phone.