Question for Otterbox Defender owners

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by GroundLoop, Mar 11, 2012.

1. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

How much does the Otterbox Defender affect the following things:

1. Sound
    2. Wifi performance
    3. 3G/4G performance

I am thinking about getting one for my new LTE iPad, but I don't want to spend nearly 100 bucks on something that significantly affects the 3 things listed.

Also, what is the built-in screen protector like? Is it removable?

Thanks for your input.

GL

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

I love otterbox - but I dont care for the defender for iPad - its so bulky and very awkward to open. It just sits around now :(

I have had no problems with sound or wifi - dont own a 3G iPad

3. GroundLoop thread starter macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

What are your thoughts on the built-in screen protector?

GL

4. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

I have the iPad 1 case - the screen protector is not built-in it comes with a screen protector you apply.

5. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I have the otterbox defender on my kids iPad 2.

1) Sound is not affected at all. The speaker section is actually cut out rather then having holes so it's not covered in any way.

2) Didn't notice any change with or without case. Just did quick tests comparing again throughout my house and signal is consistent.

3) Have wifi iPad so can't speak on that. If it helps, I do own an Otterbox I occasionally put on my iPhone 4S. Haven't had 3G signal issues with it.

As far as price look into Amazon. At worst case it's usually 50% less there than in store / direct from otterbox.

I can already tell I hate the new iPad otterbox case though. From pics it looks like they changed it so the case comes right up to the edge of the screen. On the iPad 2 model there was space. For certain games or apps I can see this being a problem as with the iPhone.

6. GroundLoop, Mar 11, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2012

GroundLoop thread starter macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

I see what you mean about the case now covering most/all of the bezel. I think that could become very annoying if you are trying to swipe in from the sides of the screen.

I may have to reconsider my choice here.

GL

7. BESLC macrumors regular

I am not sure the way it is designed it will be an issue. I have had several cases for first gen Ipad,all of which to one degree or another covered a portion of the bezel in order to hold the Ipad.

I will soon know, my order will be delivered Tuesday. When I spoke to Otter Box they indicated that this is the design they will implement on other products. If there is a problem,Otter Box has a 90 day return policy.

My new Ipad won't be delivered until Friday so a full test will have wait.

8. GroundLoop thread starter macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

I will eagerly await your review then. I don't think that having the bezel "partially" covered would be a problem, but it looks like it is fully covered in the images on the Otterbox website. I do think that will be an issue (like swiping in notification center for example).

GL