Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
Does you Defender scratch/damage the finish on the sides/back of you iPhone after it's been in the case for a while?

Just worry about the hard plastic interior wearing the finish of the phone down over time. :eek:

Any long time users have any problems with damage to their phones from the Defender's hard plastic inner shell?

cnotes2019

Suspended
Aug 17, 2013
Does you Defender scratch/damage the finish on the sides/back of you iPhone after it's been in the case for a while?

Just worry about the hard plastic interior wearing the finish of the phone down over time. :eek:

Any long time users have any problems with damage to their phones from the Defender's hard plastic inner shell?
I haven't had any issues with any of mine.

peckerhead

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2009

In my experience it does scratch the phone. I have a 4S provided by work and after removing the Otterbox Defender, you can see where the outline of the case has been scratched onto the phone. Also the sides are marked badly.

Possibly the newer versions are different.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Most cases that allow debris to get between the phone and case need to be removed regularly to clean them out to avoid this abrasive damage. Even the Otterbox will do this and It is hard to see how the stuff gets inside but it does.

bliggs

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
Broken Arrow

I've used a defender on my iPhone 4, 5 and now my 6 and the only complaint that I have is that it always leaves a ring around the opening of the front camera/ear speaker area. Not really that noticeable but it does tend to annoy me a little. Other than that, it keeps it looking like brand new.

xb2003

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2016
MO
I had one for a 4s and now for my 6. The 4s definitely had some wear on the back glass caused by the case. My 6 still looks great and I've had it for about a year now. The ones for the 6 have more foam then the older ones if I remember right.

I do have a glass screen protector on my 6. I removed the plastic one from the otter box. The glass makes the case fit tighter. Before it, the phone almost seemed to move a little in the case.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I've had the Otterbox Defender leave marks on my iPhone 4S. The marks are very very faint and don't show up in pictures, I did have to mention them when trying to sell it though.

My 5S has a mark around the hole in the case for the rear camera on the glass.

6S looks like mint condition.

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
Is the black area around the rear camera a soft rubber or hard plastic?

xb2003

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2016
MO
Hard plastic. But the foam is going to keep it from scratching. My 6 looks great.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    754 KB · Views: 148
Reactions: Hooterville

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
What is the difference between the Defender for the 6 Plus and the one for the 6s Plus?
Was going to order one from Amazon and noticed that the Defender for the regular 6 plus is not compatible with the 6s plus.

Did Otterbox change the cases for the 6s?

Are the commuters the same for both Plus phones?

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
What is the difference between the Defender for the 6 Plus and the one for the 6s Plus?
Was going to order one from Amazon and noticed that the Defender for the regular 6 plus is not compatible with the 6s plus.

Did Otterbox change the cases for the 6s?

Are the commuters the same for both Plus phones?

I don't know about the Plus but I have a 6 and got two very different Defender cases (both legit, not fakes); one was designed specifically for the 6 and the other that was released later was designed for 6/6S. Here's are some of the differences I found...

The old one (for iPhone 6):
-The screen protector made the touch screen pretty non-responsive, had to press hard at times to register a gesture
-The power and volume buttons needed excessive pressure to register a button press
-The headphones jack port cover didn't cover it well, I could see half the jack exposed

The new one (for iPhone 6/6S):
-Fixed perfectly all three issues I had with the old one
-Fits my 6 just as well as the old one did

FWIW, the packaging of both units is different and pretty easy to tell apart. The new one has a graphic of sand stones on the front of the packaging, the old one didn't.

ZYJOiAMl.jpg

Reactions: Hooterville

j2ee

Suspended
Apr 21, 2015
In my experience it does scratch the phone. I have a 4S provided by work and after removing the Otterbox Defender, you can see where the outline of the case has been scratched onto the phone. Also the sides are marked badly.

Possibly the newer versions are different.

This sounds so stupid. Almost anyone uses this super bluky case is for protection of the phone and hope to keep it looks perfect, but this bulky thing actually leaves scatches on the phone like a lot of super cheap China case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.