Question for owners: Unlock with attention vs. without attention

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vannibombonato, Nov 3, 2017.

1. vannibombonato macrumors 6502

As someone who is not at all a security maniac, i am wondering at how different is the unlock performance in the 2 scenarios, as i am considering going for the "unlock without attention" option (i obviously still not have the X).

1- How is FaceID performance without the attention requirement vs the default option?
    2- If you disable "attention for unlock", but still keep "attention features" enabled, how do notifications behave? Because on paper that is the perfect combo for me.

Am i missing something or the only added security you get with the "attention unlock" is that someone could i.e. pick up your phone while it's resting on the table and use it?
    (i don't really care about a friend picking up my phone, and in case of a thief he would anyway be able to do anything except have a look at my messages or doing a few calls.).

Thanks for the feedback.

Vanni

2. kre62 macrumors 68020

This is also something I've been thinking about and will test it later when I get my X if no one else does. I am guessing turning it off will result in faster auths at wider angles. And I'm not worried about a thief taking my phone and pointing it at me. That 1 in 10 billion use case isn't something I care about.

3. Dukeie macrumors member

Dukeie

So I just tried it. It definitely unlocks a lot quicker with it turned off. But the notifications as shown as soon as the phone is unlocked so with attention for face ID turn off they will so faster then with it on but honestly with it on it is still pretty quick!

Hope that answers your questions.

4. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

it unlocks quicker and on a desk it does unlock where with it on I couldn't get it to open without picking the phone up

it just means you don't need to be completely looking at it for it to open. Random people wouldn't be able to open it if they stole it. Still requires your face