Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bman3221

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2008
I partitioned my hard drive but it said i needed the disc. I only put 5 GB partitioning for Windows. Is there anyway I can put the 5GB back to the Mac? I had 92 GB before I partitioned it, now i have 86.5. How do I get it back to normal so the whole hard drive is just for the Mac? :confused:

Skeletal-dæmon

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2008
Boot Camp installers guide, page 20.

This installers guide can be found by running the Boot Camp assistant through the Help menu.

In short, goto Boot Camp, click 'create or remove a windows partition' and click restore, and the disk will return to being one single OS X partition.

Bman3221

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2008
Boot Camp installers guide, page 20.

This installers guide can be found by running the Boot Camp assistant through the Help menu.

In short, goto Boot Camp, click 'create or remove a windows partition' and click restore, and the disk will return to being one single OS X partition.

thanks dude...that helped alot. How many GB does Leopard take? because i only have 92 GB of a 120 GB Hard drive. Maybe because iLife was included too? I still have to install iWork 08

Skeletal-dæmon

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2008
Leopard arrives on a standard DVD so I'm assuming less than 5GB although I'd have to go look up the specifications.

Update: it takes up 9GB, man I was far out there...

And 92GB should be more than enough space for Leopard (inc iLife) and iWork, considering I have over 60GB left on my Mac Mini which now only has Tiger, iLife 06 and iWork 06 on it after I scrubbed the disk, and that only has a 100GB hard drive (roughly 92GB after formatting... what I consider quite a bizarre coincidence)

Georgea1990

Jul 11, 2008
On the same point.

Can I use boot camp to create a partition to just store files?

I like to have a partition for my music just incase I need to wipe the OSX partition and reinstall.

Thanks.

Skeletal-dæmon

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2008
Oh I missed your point sorry... yeah 92GB sounds about right. 120GB is the absolute size of the disk. Formtted size will be roughly 112GB. Minus how ever many GB RAM you have for the sleep/swap file thing. Minus 9GB for Leopard. Minus iWork. That should give you roughly 92GB.

Skeletal-dæmon

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2008
On the same point.

I like to have a partition for my music just incase I need to wipe the OSX partition and reinstall.

Thanks.

Possibly, but I honestly don't know how. You could try asking in the OS X forums.

Bman3221

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2008
On the same point.

Thanks.

for something like that you should consider getting an external hard drive unless you wanna keep everything in your computer

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
for something like that you should consider getting an external hard drive unless you wanna keep everything in your computer

yea, this is a windows idea, two partitions. plus, you can't use that partition if you use itunes for music. you have to have an external hard drive. this most likely will cause problems with reinstallations of leopard and also with itunes or whtever music program you use.

computerwiz222

macrumors broskanovski
Sep 5, 2008
Here's a little tip that might help you:

Put the computer in Target Disk Mode and connect it to a windows machine.

Use Partition Magic to split the hard drive into two or more partitions.

The nice thing about Partition Magic is that it will move partitions around without data loss. I have never tried it with a Mac, so I am not sure how it will handle Apple formatted partitions, but it has never failed me in windows.

I used partition magic to set up a hackintosh before I decided to shell out the $$ for a MacBook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.