Question for people who travel for work with iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ClemTiger0408, Nov 15, 2011.

1. ClemTiger0408 macrumors 6502

I just bought an iPad 2 and I'm having some buyer's remorse. I can return it without a restocking fee, so that's what I'm considering.

After I bought it I discovered my job currently doesn't support the iPad at all. I cannot even get email on it even though I can get it on my iPhone. I also don't have wifi at my desk. So basically, the iPad is more or less useless at my office.

I travel once a month for about a week each month. I will have to bring my work laptop with me where ever I go. My concern is staying at a hotel without wifi (with wired internet only). I bought the 3G iPad 2, but I don't want to spent the extra $30 a month if I don't have to. My concern is, in order to reload the iPad for travel back home I'd need my MacBook Air also. My work computer is completely on lock down.

So let's say I want to get a new video or movie that I'm not purchasing through iTunes, I need my personal laptop to do it. So that could mean I'd bring my work laptop, my personal MBA, AND my iPad. Additionally, I already have a Kindle for reading.

Money is an "issue" here. I say that in quotes because I bought the iPad with cash and I'm not poor, but like everyone else if I don't NEED the iPad it's always good to have the money.

What do you all think?

2. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

My wife's work computer is an ultra Dell and she is a Blackberry user (for now). She carries an iPad with her when she travels. She has a data package but mostly she uses WiFi. Most hotels I stay in have free WiFi, those that don't have some form of paid WiFi. We like being in able so sync and keep calendars current so we both know each other's travel schedule. We love FaceTime, my wife is in London for a week and the nightly calls are so much better with FT. She often uses the GPS on the iPad as it is more accurate than the GPS in the Avis rental cars. She likes having movies on the iPad and the ability to download from iTunes so that she has options on long flights. (We share an iTunes account). It is easy for her to change the playlists, movies, etc., prior to the trip. The iPad works great on small planes, SWA, etc. I travel with an iPad all the time, love it. But, mostly it is the apps. The apps rock.

It sounds like you are over thinking this. I suggest you rive the iPad a proper tryout.

- David

3. poloponies macrumors 68030

What do I think? I think that if you don't have a definable need for it then you don't really need it. I can't understand why you can't get your work email on it, it supports Exchange just like the iPhone.

For the most part I use the iPad (almost) exclusively for travel. The only thing I can't do with it is use MS Access, so I generally convert any tables that I may need to Excel. Once in a while I'll cheat and bring my MBP, but it mostly stays in the hotel while the iPad comes with me.

And having the 3G as an option is only a plus. You don't have to spend the "extra $30 a month" every month, but the one or two times that you may need it it will be worth it.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

iPhone = iPad in terms of email. If your work supports iPhone, then it supports iPad. Steps to set up are IDENTICAL.

You can share wifi from Mac to Wifi.

You can transfer videos from computer to iPad directly. Example, good reader.

5. ClemTiger0408 thread starter macrumors 6502

True and I'm savvy enough that I know how this works. However, my IT has disabled people from being able to connect to exchange using a phone. We use an app ironically called Good (it is terrible). There is an iPad version but for some inexplicable reason IT won't give me a PIN to use it on an iPad.

And I know I can share wifi from a mac but the whole idea is I don't want to take my Mac places in addition to my work laptop which I have to have on me.

6. RRNYC macrumors member

What kind of phone do you use? If you have an iPhone and can get company email, you can get it on your iPad. My company doesn't officially support apple products but I am still able to get my email through my iPhone/ipad but I have to use our outlook web rather than connecting through the VPN. I set it up through the mail program so its still pushed to my devices.

My brother works for an investment bank and their laptops are useless outside of work related stuff. The peripherals are completely locked down so he has an iPad for personal stuff. It sure beats carrying two laptops.

7. donnaw macrumors 65816

At times I stay at hotels that only have wired access. I carry an Airport Express to be sure I can get wifi. But I have the 2gig ATT plan with my 3G iPad. I load movies and TV shows (most I have recorded myself) before I go. So for browsing, email, etc. the 2 gigs has always been plenty.

My husband works overseas and many times one or the other does not have wifi. We use Skype via 3G on audio-only mode. Last month I was out of town for a week without the Airport Express. We talked every night for 20-40 mins. I used less than 500MB for the entire week. That included all the email, surfing, etc. too.

If your work PC is locked down and you are carrying both it and your Mac your iPad may just be the way to go. It would certainly lighten your load. Just takes a bit of planning.

8. macman312 macrumors 6502

1. Firstly why can't you get email on it? It is EXACTLY the same as the iphone setup so go to your mail settings and copy everything to your ipad.

2.Now with icloud you can easily share documents (pages/keynote/numbers only) and you can give a presentation right from your ipad.... So I don't see the need to bring a work laptop, ipad and MBA.... Just bring MBA and ipad because the MBA is better for typing but the ipad has a good email arrangement and it is useful if you are in an unknown town to find somewhere to have dinner etc. Can you not use dropbox and have everything you may need on your travel in dropbox and access it from your MBA or ipad or use apple remote desktop?

3.The other concern you had was about hotels with wired internet only... They don't really exist anymore and you can share your ethernet connection as a wifi connection (eg make a wifi network on your computer) in sys prefs on a MAC go to sharing and then check the attached picture(you may already know how to do it but others with similar issues may not)

In summary next time you go away bring: Kindle, ipad, MBA (I guarantee they will fit in one bag if it is a medium size, Why bring your work laptop when you could potentially access it from your mac

9. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

I travel a couple of weeks a month. Have to carry a large (15.6") Dell workstation. Heavy sucker but for the work I do Windows and a quad core laptop are necessities. Virtually all of my travel is by air and frequently in coach. That means I cannot even open my laptop much less use it on flights.

For a couple of years I carried a small (11") HP notebook along with a portable keyboard (I hate onscreen keyboards) and a travel mouse (I hate touchpads) when I flew. The combo worked pretty well. I kept the big laptop in my bag and pulled out the small netbook/notebook on the plane. Still, there were issues. The notebook simply wouldn't last more than about 3-4 hours without switching the battery. The combo of netbook, keyboard, and mouse pretty much consumed those damn little airline tables (especially when the a**h**e ahead of me cranked his seat all the way back.)

The iPad has been a godsend for all of this. The iPad, Origami Workstation, and Apple Wireless keyboard take up less space than the notebook. (I can even get a scotch on the table.) I don't worry about running out of juice. And if I don't need to work, I don't even pull out the keyboard. And while the notebook was not a heavy burden, the iPad is half its weight.

When I get to a hotel, I try out their "free wifi." More often than not, the download speeds are so slow I cannot stream video or audio. And that's when I'm not in a room so far from the hotel router that I can't even get a signal.

Solution. I carry a small 4G/LTE mobile hotspot (size of a playing card.) When I'm in a 4G service area (as I usually am with Verizon) I get download speeds up to 10-15 times faster than the hotel's wifi. And I can connect both the iPad and my laptop to the wifi signal from the hotspot. A bonus in that situation is that my iPad functions more or less as a second workstation and enables me to limit my laptop to a couple of open windows.

This might well be overkill for many road warriors, but it works very well for me, especially since a unit like an MBA (or a 13" ultraportable with Windows) simply isn't up to my computing demands. And even better, I no longer have to worry about changing hotels when I find that the "free wifi" amounts to a tin can and a string.

10. Big D 51 macrumors 6502a

Big D 51

11. palpatine macrumors 68040

i think you would know pretty soon whether it is right for you. it sounds like you have made a decision!

there is no reason why your mail won't go to your ipad. but, since you don't have wifi, it doesn't really matter, right?

i never bring my laptop anywhere anymore when i travel. i leave the computer and kindle at home. if you need your laptop for work and you need your kindle to read, i don't see a place for the ipad.

i am not sure why you purchased the ipad. you have so many restrictions in your life :(

sell the ipad to someone who can use it :)

the ipad works well for some people, and for others it doesn't. it has a lot more limitations than a conventional computer, so that is bound to happen. return it and enjoy the gadgets you already have :)

What do you all think?[/QUOTE]

12. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

from your description, it sounds like the ipad is only of very limited use for you. i would agree that at this stage it probably doesn't make a lot of sense to keep the ipad.

go ahead and return it.

13. JoeSixPack macrumors member

JoeSixPack

A couple of additional ideas:

If your iPhone carrier lets you tether for a reasonable price (say $10 a month instead of $25+ for a separate iPad plan) that may be worthwhile.

Alternatively go without a connection, trade in the iPad2 for a cheaper iPad1 and just load it up with iTunes content before each trip.

14. iPadPublisher macrumors 6502

Every guy has his own uses and needs right? If you don't truly need it, then perhaps you should take it back. Its okay to do that, and thankfully stores have become a lot nicer about returns over the years.

For me, the iPad was the perfect laptop replacement for travel. I was never fond of using laptops on a plane, but the iPad is enjoyable. Easier to tote, store, use, etc.

I have the 3G service, and while some months it gets more use than others, I've not felt like I was being ripped off. I'm also grandfathered into the unlimited plan at AT&T, so that part is a bit unfair to a new guy coming in, but it sounds like your use would live within data plans just fine.

You could go old school and make a "pros and cons" list... ha ha... see where you land. :)

15. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

My biggest problem with iPad for business in the field is the LACK OF PEN SUPPORT!

16. wingsabr macrumors 6502

wingsabr

If you don't need it, then take it back!

With that said, I have the Splashtop app which allows me to remote into my MBP when I travel and Citrix for work. Pair that with a BT keyboard and the iPad makes sense for me.

17. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Sucks that your IT is so locked down for mail. Need to get a few executives iPads so that policy changes. Do you have web mail access?

I think you are overlooking a lot of possible use for the iPad. A week per month is a lot of travel, and the iPad is much nicer to use than a laptop in airports or on the plane. If you are a magazine reader, look into getting access on the iPad, which it really excels at. If anything, I'd dump the kindle which is too limited in what it can do.

Look at Goodreader for adding content on the go.

18. Marli macrumors regular

For real enterprise use the iPad will fall way short. You will need to take a real computer with you. I have tried and tried to only take the iPad while traveling for work, but quickly find all the shortcomings..

19. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Take it back. Carry a laptop if that's all your it group will support

20. GobblerChaser macrumors newbie

Get your IT group some articles about how easy it is to safely and securely support mobile edge devices. If they are not putting a plan in place to do this, the technology world is going to leave them behind. Keep it and offer to be the test case for them. I travel alot and my ipad has completely replaced my laptop for 90% of what I need. It has changed the way I work and freed me up from the anchor that used to be my briefcase with laptop and accessories and associated junk.

Dare to swim against the tide.

21. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

The Good app sucks big time. If your work supports OWA, give the Outlook Complete or Outlook Pro apps a try. They give you an iOS way to use full Exchange for lockdown situations, and your IT department can't complain because it uses OWA.

For me, I seldom use my laptop (MBA) on the plane. I relax with my iPad. Load it up with books, music, etc and it's how I pass time. That way my work laptop stays focused on work. At hotels, I use the HBO or Netflix app to stream video, although most hotels offer abysmal wifi speeds. I have a Verizon 4G LTE mifi for those occasions.

I always carry my MBA with me but the iPad let's me have a "personal" computing device with me as well.

22. mantic macrumors 6502a

I thought that once you added tethering your forfeited your old unlimited plan. I have unlimited but I thought I was told that if i added tethering that I would be switched to capped data plan.

23. poloponies macrumors 68030

Where do you see anything about tethering in his post. It looks like he was talking about being grandfathered into the unlimited iPad plan.

24. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

NOPE. There are plenty of stylus options for the iPad, for example:
    http://obamapacman.com/2011/12/cosmonaut-ipad-stylus-by-glif-iphone-tripod-mount-creator/

Plenty of businesses such as banks and hospitals use iPad (many examples on the bottom of the page)
    http://www.apple.com/ipad/business/profiles/

25. mantic macrumors 6502a

You're right. I just assumed he was talking about tethering from his phone. My mistake. My reading comprehension skills are down today :p