Question for people who upgraded to 3GS from EDGE iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mikel30, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Mikel30 macrumors member

For people on AT&T upgrading from the 2G EDGE, did you have to pay an $18 "Early Upgrade fee"? I know there's an activation fee but what about early upgrade?

2. prospereagle92 macrumors regular

If you upgrade early then you have to pay the "early upgrade fee" how bout that?

3. Mikel30 thread starter macrumors member

Well EDGE iPhones weren't subsidized so technically I could upgrade whenever I wanted so I don't know how they could charge me an "early upgrade fee" like Apple's website was showing. I was wondering if this was holding true for other people.

4. PruneTracy macrumors member

PruneTracy

i had to pay it too... as did the girlfriend. i'll call and find out what's up with that...

5. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

Yes, I paid both $18 fees. But I didn't buy my 2G for nearly a year after it was released.

6. PruneTracy macrumors member

PruneTracy

just called and "Jeremy" reversed both $18 charges. YAY!

7. gzillaration macrumors member

i brouht from apple.com

does it show anywhere on wireless.att.com that i am being billed an upgrade fee?

my brother upgraded from his 3g early and his refund and fee waived so id assume my fee would get waived too

8. Mikel30 thread starter macrumors member

I just checked the Apple website again and this time it doesn't list both $18 charges. It says:

Activation fee: $0
    Early Upgrade Fee: $18

Seems weird that they took away the activation but not early upgrade but I suppose it doesn't really matter.

But when you guys say you got the fees waived, do you mean both (as in you paid $0 in fees) or just one of them (like I have listed above)?

9. Luigi239 macrumors 6502a

AT&T and charges an $18 upgrade fee every time you upgrade your phone, whether your contract is up or not. I think it's a BS fee, but it's better than the $36 activation fee they impose on new customers.

10. dave006 macrumors 68020

The $18 fee is for any upgrade with AT&T, it is not an iPhone "Early Upgrade" fee.

A new line is charged $36 fee and an upgrade to an existing line is charged $18. Many customers have a FAN that provides a National Account Discount (NAD) that includes waived activations and upgrades. Other FANs only provide for waived activation fees on the Primary line of a FamilyTalk rate plan.

Many customers just call Customer Care and whine about the the fee and the Care rep may waive the fee. Please note that an audit of the transaction may result in the fee being re-added to the account. So it kind of depends on how much your time is worth to wait on the phone...:)

Dave

11. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

I had to call and activate my wife's 3GS this morning and she was upgrading from the 2G. I imagine I learn what I'm being charged for when the bill comes out. But the AT&T iPhone rep I talked to said I was going to receive a credit because the 3GS data plan is cheaper than the 2G data plan.

Anyone else hear that?

12. dave006 macrumors 68020

No and that is not correct for 99% of the customers, unless your wife had the $45 Enterprise data plan on her original iPhone and now she has the $30 iPhone data plan on the iPhone 3G S.

Many customers made a mistake on the original iPhone activation and ended up with the $45 Enterprise iPhone data plan. :eek:

Dave

13. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

That must be it then. Because when I called and entered her phone number, I was sent to the business end of customer supprot.

14. JohnFa macrumors regular

$18 isn't that much though, is it?
    Funny how alot of Americans complaing about the Touch upgrade being $9.95. Is really $10 and $18 alot of money in the States?

15. Mikel30 thread starter macrumors member

No, $18 isn't a lot of money compared to the hundreds of dollars we're spending on a new iPhone and data plans, but we're not getting anything for our money. It's a complete rip off. Why should they charge us $18 to activate a new phone we just paid for? If $18 really isn't anything to whine about, then perhaps you wouldn't mind paying mine?

16. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

To some it just may be.

I could use $20 in my wallet for lunch the next two days.

17. dagomike macrumors 65816

When I first looked, Apple online wanted to charge me two $18 fees. ATT online wanted to charge me a single $36 fee. I called ATT Business/FAN and they said that's a standard fee unless my FAN contract waived it. She was really put out when I asked her to look, but she said there's nothing in the contract waiving it. She said some retail stores may waive the fee. I went down to ATT store, where I pre-ordered, and they charged me a single $18 fee, but wouldn't drop the other.

I think it might matter how much your service costs. If I feel bored I might call after I get my bill and try and get them to drop it. It's just the principle. The "upgrade" is just extra profit.

Anyway, I'd be curious to hear how fees were waived, and what your service plan is.

18. Mikel30 thread starter macrumors member

Like I said before, at first (before the 3G S was released) they wanted two $18 fees on Apple's order page (for Activation and Upgrade). I just checked again yesterday (because I didn't order it) and the Activation had been dropped to $0 without me talking to anyone or doing anything. I don't know the reason for the change. I'm currently using a 2G Edge iPhone on a family plan.

19. dagomike macrumors 65816

I don't care if I'm spending $1 or $10,000, I'll object to nonsense fees that add no value to my purchase. Am I going to make a scene? No, but I will raise the issue and make them explain it beyond "it's standard" when it's obviously not.