Question for people who went from ATT to Verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by richxps, Jun 23, 2011.

1. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

Hi, im looking for some clarification here. For people that had the ATT iphone and went over to Verizon do you notice any difference in app performance ? Such as AIM , or any sort of streaming app does it feel slow or does it preform just as well as ATT ? Are push notifications also just as fast ?
    Thanks all, Im still on the fence here about porting over to Verizon so i want to cover all my areas before making a final decision.

2. swiftbmx macrumors regular

Made the switch last month and have noticed only improvements going to Verizon. With Pandora, I can skip to the next song and it starts up almost immediately while with AT&T, there was always a 3-10 sec lag to gather the data. My experience is based off NYC. Glad I made the switch even though I had to pay an ETF.

3. richxps thread starter macrumors 65816

richxps

Thanks, also have you tried any multiplayer games over 3g on Verizon ? If so how well do they preform ?
    Thanks

4. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

I switched from AT&T to Verizon after a side-by-side comparison for two week, and it's a double-edged sword, ultimately deciding that Verizon was the better choice. Verizon has less latency, so apps that need quick little bursts of data will actually perform better. Music streaming seems to actually be better on Verizon (starts up more quickly and has less dropouts). Web pages will often start loading more quickly as well.

AT&T has the advantage for heavier data apps, such as Youtube, Netflix, and heavy websites. And of course, you can talk and use data at the same time, something I used very rarely on AT&T anyway.

So overall, I found that Verizon was better for most of the apps I use.

5. ani23 macrumors 6502

The only thing i miss on verizon is the ability to switch easily between calls or merge calls regardless of whether you made or received them. due to CDMA that piece is a cluster on verizon.

But otherwise nothing but great things to say. i actually haven't had any dropped calls for a while now. whereas att it was at least a few daily.

6. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

I am a customer of both carriers. I stream a lot (netflix, hulu+, pandora, ootunes, etc...), and both carriers stream well for me. I get more coverage with Verizon when I travel, but... sometimes Verizon's 3G is so slow, it's unusable. It's not all the time, but it gets annoying when I have a Verizon 3G signal, but can't use it. That's my only gripe about Verizon, but it doesn't bother me to much since I switch back to my AT&T data. I don't see a difference between the 2 with push notification or AIM type apps. In my location, AT&T is a little more dependable... but I am happy with both carriers.

7. mbprouser macrumors member

mbprouser

I switched back in November. Was tired of AT&T and their promises for better coverage in my area, when it worked perfect a year prior. Contract was up and haven't looked back. Bought the iPhone in February (yes, I paid full price) and so far, I haven't had any issues.

8. AmereckanPsycho macrumors member

I look forward to switching over to Verizon. However, the wait for the next iPhone has been painful. Since my 2 year contract just expired on 6.18, I might break down and get an iPhone 4 with Verizon now, and just pay more for the new iPhone when it comes out.

......Who am I kidding. I'll most likely just keep my 3GS for a few more months.

9. cardinalryan macrumors 6502

cardinalryan

I switched from AT&T to Verizon and this indeed sucks! Cluster is a perfect word to describe the merge calls feature. I'm stuck on Verizon now, but more days than not, I wished I'd never switched from AT&T.

10. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

That wouldn't help me in my location. I travel to San Francisco every year for the Oracle World conference, and I usually switch to Verizon's data because AT&T 3G is very spotty in San Francisco. In my location in San Diego, when I do the same tests... AT&T's 3G data speeds are faster for me. Like I posted earlier, I am a customer of both... and happy with both carriers... so in my unbiased opinion... I feel that location, and what carrier gives the best service in that location should be a factor on what carrier a person goes with. CNET's review is probably good for people who live in San Francisco... but may not be good for other locations.

11. FX4568 macrumors 6502

http://www.deadcellzones.com/
    Where I live (UCLA) Att is okay, Verizon is far better. But to each their own.

12. Paisan3466 macrumors newbie

How's the voice quality compared to AT&T?

13. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

That's my point. You went with a carrier that gives you the best service for your location. I would do the same if I were in your location. I am a customer of both carriers... and I see good and bad things from both carriers. As far as data, AT&T's 3G is more dependable in my area, but I use my Verizon data more since we have 4G LTE in our area. There are some spotty areas where it switches to Verizon's 3G. Verizon's 3G is great most of the time in my location, but sometimes it's so slow... it's unusable. CNET review would most likely have different results in my location, so I wouldn't say it's a good test for all locations.

14. cardinalryan macrumors 6502

cardinalryan

The voice quality is fine, but realistically, it was fine on AT&T too. I have come to the conclusion that it is much more beneficial to be with AT&T, than Verizon.

The thing that sucks for me is that I'm past my return period with Verizon and there is nothing I can do about it.

The little things like conferencing multiple callers...being able to use data and voice simultaneously (very underrated feature) and the overall seamless user experience on AT&T is worlds better than Verizon.

There's no question that there are fewer holes in coverage on Verizon, but AT&T seems to be shoring that up rapidly and when they do fill in the all the gaps, I can't see any advantage in going with Verizon over AT&T given the current technology. Perhaps all this will change as things evolve to 4G and LTE.

15. utwarreng macrumors 6502

utwarreng

By the time that AT&T has shored up all of those gaps and holes, we'll have 4G coverage in most major markets, and the question will become "who has the most 4G coverage" rather than just "who has the best coverage".

16. dudeabiding macrumors 6502

dudeabiding

I took a look at that map. Seriously? One of the reports said service inside my local Von's is bad. Duh! It's a metal building. Some others (using all three carriers, in fact) reported poor reception in their houses right near where I live. I have excellent service in my house using AT&T. I found one report at a freeway intersection (no houses) between a cut in the hills out by the coast. Gee, a dead zone in the middle of nowhere. Many of the reports in my area were from 2008, and I bet a lot of towers have been installed since then.

My point is that this map is extremely subjective. It certainly is not scientific. And no service, on any carrier, is ever going to be 100%. There will always be dead zones, but some are to be expected. When I go into a ride at Disneyland, deep in the bowels of the earth, gosh, no service. In a metal retail store, girders everywhere, the same. Should you be able to get service in your house? Yes, in most cases. That's why there is a cooling-off policy after you buy a phone, so you can return it if you get home and discover it won't work there. All carriers have stronger and weaker areas, and phones seem to have better or lesser antennas. But are we to expect strong cell service everywhere? Well, if we want to be disappointed I guess we can. Service is evolving, and carriers will always struggle to fulfill our "needs."

17. Centient macrumors 6502

I can say that both Pandora and Netflix run better since we switched to VZ. Now I suspect that's due in some part to the consistent nature of VZ's service in my area vs. Ma Bell's.

However I wonder what effect, if any, software updates from Pandora and Netflix apps play in that experience.