Question for people with dust under their screens

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by droeun, Aug 16, 2008.

1. droeun macrumors member

Is this dust since day one or dust that has accumulated over time from being in your pocket?

2. droeun thread starter macrumors member

3. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

I've seldom heard of that happening... when did you first notice it? If your phone is still covered, I'd say have it replaced, there's nothing you can do against dust under the screen, as far as I know. See an apple employee, because that really shouldn't happen.

4. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

5. WilliamG macrumors G3

I think a lot of the 3G iPhones have dust under the glass. Both my wife and my iPhone 3G black 16GB have some dust under the glass. Just a spec, and you only notice them in direct sunlight, but they're there.

6. orijinal macrumors 6502

orijinal

OP never said he had dust under his screen... could be, however:

maybe he's asking after hearing people with initial dust and seeing if it accumulates over time, in general.

7. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

To actually answer the question, the dust under my screen was there out of the box. It doesn't interfere with the display (it's way off to the left side) so I didn't feel it needed to be returned/exchanged. It hasn't gotten worse at all, and my phone lives in my pocket in a case.

8. droeun thread starter macrumors member

Are you using a case that fully covers the phone or does it expose only the screen? I have dust that has accumulated but I keep my phone nude in my front pocket without a case - perhaps it's something that can't be avoided? I might end up getting a holster type case that would keep the phone away from pocket lint.

9. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

i had dust under my screen, though not sure if it was from when i opened it or afterwards. my guess is that it was there from the start- 2 big-pixel-sized white dots in the top right center of the screen. i took it in, the genius looked at it and swapped it immediately.

10. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I had an uneven glass screen which was flush at the bottom, but not at the top. I didn't notice dust under the screen, but dust was stuck in the crevices along the top of the iPhone.

I would stay away from those swivel type holster clips, b/c they tend to snag everything and whatever you snag rips the iPhone from your side. I would suggest the beltclip style IMHO.

11. droeun thread starter macrumors member

Have you managed to get dust under your new one? Do you keep your phone in a case?

12. danielforman macrumors regular

I am on my 5th iPhone at the moment and apart from my 1st they have all had dust under the screen.

Out of the 4 that had dust 3 I noticed had them straight out of the box and 3 out of them had light leak, however with the other I did not check.

When I got my fourth unit I noticed it had dust under the glass and thought it must be getting in at the factory so I thought I would live with it but it got worse within 2 days right wear the light leak was.

Waiting to take my 5th one to the genius bar at the moment but all my others have come direct from O2-UK.

I think the problem may be down to the rubber gasket they are using around the screen. It seems that it is not enitrely sealing so dust is getting in. Plus other people have mentioned that the glass and the screen are not stuck together like they were on the first gen so this would also explain how it is getting under the glass.

13. rannddeee macrumors regular

i had my 3g for about 3 weeks and after reading this forum about dust, i carefully looked at my phone, and sure enough there was dust under the screen. i went to the apple store to get it replaced. i got a brand new one and that too had dust. :mad:

14. droeun thread starter macrumors member

The rubber gasket on mine isn't flush on the right side of the screen, and that's where the dust appears to be entering. I can live with it, but don't want to use a case. I like keeping it nude in my pocket, but if it gets worse I'll have no other choice. None of these phones are perfect, but I'm just trying to see if the dust can be attributed to nude case-free phones kept in peoples' pockets.

15. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Why?

I had ONE SPEC (and slightly uneven glass) and I took it back to the Apple store for a new one. New phone has no dust under screen.

16. droeun thread starter macrumors member

My first phone was exchanged for this very reason & I went through a nightmare getting a replacement (Genius boy returned my phone to a card I reported stolen, instead of doing an even swap - I walked out of apple empty handed with broken SIM card). Is your new phone kept in a case or is it nude?

17. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5B108 Safari/525.20)

I'm in the same position you were in. I've had a little uneven glass and kept it nude in my pocket. Now I have one small speck. Other than that, I've had no issues. I don't know I'd I want to swap it out yet thought. It seems like there is no promise that the replacement will be any better off. Think I should wait it out a bit? See what happens first. We have 1 year of apple care right?

18. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Truthfully, it's in a case - but only because I'm a klutz and dropped my new phone naked once already.

Everyone seems to have such trouble with Apple , it's confusing to me.

To wit:
    I noticed my uneven screen, then I noticed the spec of dust. Went to apple.com and made an appointment for the Genius Bar. Went to the store the next day, said "hey, the screen is uneven and, look, there's a spec of dust". The Genius looked it over, went to the back room, got a new phone and switched over my SIM.

Done and done.