Question for Recent Switchers

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by aditghai, Feb 28, 2008.

?

Has OS X become your primary OS

Poll closed Mar 10, 2008.
  1. Yes, I only use OS X for all my computing needs

28 vote(s)
    53.8%
  2. No, I still use Windows for some stuff.

24 vote(s)
    46.2%
  1. aditghai macrumors regular

aditghai

Hey
    I just switched to a MAC about 2 days ago. Just was curious to know how many still use Windows for work purposes like Excel or whatever.

Has OS X become your primary OS or do you still rely on Windows for some tasks.

2. mach42006 macrumors member

I switched about 5 months ago, and I've just relied on OSX; I haven't had a desire to touch Windows since. I have to admit though, I used to do a lot of work in Excel, Powerpoint and Access on PC, and I was quite proficient at all three. Luckily I no longer need any of them regularly. If I had to use Excel or Ppt on a regular basis, I would have to dig out my old windows-based laptop. The Mac versions drive me crazy...obviously not Apple's fault, but nonetheless, I'm far more proficient on Excel and Powerpoint for Windows.

3. aditghai thread starter macrumors regular

aditghai

Have to give that to you. I am trying out Office 08. It seems a lot better than Office 2004.

Really wished Microsoft did a better job after such a long time in development.

Anyways nice to hear from you

4. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

I'm a very recent switcher (about mid-January), and as soon as I got all my data off the PC and onto my Mac, I reformatted the drives and installed Linux on it, turning it into a fileserver on my local network :)

I transferred my Photoshop license from Win -> Mac, and Lightroom is dual-licensed by default - those are my 2 major apps. I got the new home edition of Office from MacMall (It's worth having Word to be compatible), and it works great, just like the windows version did.

After using OS X for 1.5 months now, I'm loving the ride, even though I don't yet know all the in-depth tricks, tips, and cool config options you can do with it, but I'll learn (any links would be useful too ;))

I'm so much more productive with spaces, I'm finally making regular backups automatically (time machine)....there really is NO downside to OS X, and I don't plan to ever go back to windows if I can help it (certainly not on my home system, anyway!)

I've nearly got everyone in my family convinced to get a Mac as well - no spyware, no viruses works *very* well as a motivational tool :)

-Bryan

5. aditghai thread starter macrumors regular

aditghai

wow
    im surprised at the amount of people who havent given up windows.

6. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Still using windows via vmware. The only reason, for work I can vpn in and the software only runs on windows. Plus I use excel and access alot. But I went out and purchased all the Adobe software for Mac and I am pretty much using Mac at home now!

There are still some things that I am trying to get used to. But overall I am liking it a lot.....

7. TJones macrumors regular

I work as a network administrator so I'm pretty much stuck working in XP and Server 2003 for quite some time.

8. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

I don't think any of us who need Windows for one or two programs use it by choice...

9. DLS macrumors newbie

I use Leopard (on a macbook) at home, the old Dell notebook has been sent to Apple for an enviromentally proper burial. At work I use various versions of Windows (95, 98, 2000, XP).

10. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

I use my MB for personal items. I still use my PC laptop and desktop for other needs.

11. Simple Living macrumors member

I bought my first Mac this January 1st. 24" iMac. I don't want anything to do with Microsoft ever again. Here's how I describe it to my friends:

"Windows is like buying a car... but having to push it everywhere you want to go. With Mac, you get your own private chauffeur."

12. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

Switched in November and still use a PC everyday - at work. I still have a desktop PC at home, but rarely use it anymore. Would would I when I can sit on the couch and play with the shiny MBP? :p But Windows is just a fact of life. All the Mac-heads that make such a huge deal out of "I hate evil Microsoft and all Windows PCs are horrible crap" are just making it worse for themselves. If they didn't rip it apart for all the differences from Mac OS X it wouldn't be awful - it's just obviously not as good.

*steps off soapbox*

13. aditghai thread starter macrumors regular

aditghai

Interesting.
    My MBP is just two days old and i am using Excel and Word 2008. Its not as good as the versions for Windows. But its not unberarable.

Do you guys use word or pages?

14. jfull15 macrumors 6502

Well, my switching expereince consisted of a new iMac, so If I'm on the road then i use my WinXP laptop, or when I want to lazily surf the internet while on the couch (SAFARI FOR WINDOWS BTW!) For the most part, I'm 90% Mac, 10% Windows.. never am I forced to use my Windows anymore, I used to.. but then I got Final Cut Studio so all my windows software has been replaced or transferred...

It's kind of ironic that the two apps i used most on my winxp machines were Safari and iTunes both made by Apple.. everything else was so crappy on my winxp. now i do tons more photoshop, web design, movie editing, than I ever wanted to on Windows. I do truly love my mac!

15. aditghai thread starter macrumors regular

aditghai

Till now, I am loving my OS X experience. I just miss the taskbar in the sense that open apps or windows are not automatically stored there. I know expose is good but it will take time i guess.

16. jfull15 macrumors 6502

You can use the keyboard shortcut CMMND/APPLE + TAB, works great for me.

17. someone28624 macrumors 6502a

I'm forced to use XP to upload my insulin pump. That's the ONLY thing I need XP for, and it drives me insane because the application is web-based so I would think it should be simple enough to get it to work with OS X. But it doesn't. So I have to have a full partition I use for nothing else.

18. someone28624 macrumors 6502a

NeoOffice.

19. jfull15 macrumors 6502

i used the trial of iWork 08 and loved Pages. too bad i had laready ordered Office... but if i get an extra 80 bucks, and i need it, i would LOVE pages. its to me, far better.

20. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

I use Pages, but I absolutely hate that Apple won't let you save as a .doc file from it - every time you want to save you have to export. So it's all well and good that it can open Word files, but if you want to make changes or save in that format so others can read it, you're in for a world of frustration having to continuously export.

21. heatmiser macrumors 68020

OS X for everything. I can't be bothered to install XP. It's true, though: Office on Windows >> Office on Mac. I'm not looking forward to using Powerpoint '08 in the spring for finals projects.

22. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I am a network admin too, but my system at home is a mac. :D I still do a bunch of server admin from my mac at home.

23. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

Still have to use xp in a window for work spreadsheets, keep testing the water with the mac versions but office 08 crashes too much for my liking.

24. soms macrumors 6502

soms

I still use my windows PC for some stuff, but next term I won't be bringing it back up to school. Mac FTW

25. doubleohseven macrumors 6502a

doubleohseven

Being a switcher since November '07, I just never use Windows at home (what's the point?!) :D. I only use Windows when I'm at school.