Question for Retina MBP owners with discrete GPUs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by espressoroast, May 24, 2014.

1. espressoroast macrumors member

espressoroast

Hello all,
    Can you let me know whether these apps trigger the discrete graphics on your Retina Macbook Pros? Thank you.

-1 Password (and its helper app)
    -Chrome
    -Omnifocus 2
    -Reeder 2

p.s. We used to have a thread where we listed all the apps that triggered the dgpu but I can't seem to find it.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Tbh, I don't usually look at what GPU is being used and I think since I have it hooked up to an external monitor it's on the dGPU at that point so my answers will be useless.

For what purpose are you asking this? Why not use gfxCardStatus to switch the GPU if you want or need too.

3. espressoroast thread starter macrumors member

espressoroast

Thanks for the reply.
    I am asking because I currently have a 2010 MBP with graphics switching and all the apps I mentioned trigger the discrete GPU which slaughters the battery life. I am planning to upgrade to a new retina 15" and if these apps that I use daily and in the background still trigger the dGPU, I will seriously consider going with an integrated only model.

I use gfxCardStatus but it is wonky and requires monitoring.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I will say given the performance of the Iris pro you may not need a dGPU.

The next MBP I get won't have it, From what I've read the iGPU satisfies many people's needs. You didn't really specify how or what you'll be using the laptop for so I can't say for sure but it may be an option to consider.

5. Quackers macrumors 6502a

I'm thinking the same for my next rMBP. I'm sure Iris Pro would be enough for my uses and it's a headache less too (for Bootcamp at least).

6. Cmd-the-World macrumors regular

1Password 4 does not trigger the discrete graphics card. I don't know about the rest since I don't use them.

7. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

I've just checked Chrome and that just use the integrated.

Barney

8. mr.bee macrumors 6502a

mr.bee

I have the iGPU only model and I use the following programs:

chrome
    pixelmator
    iDraw
    world of warcraft
    adobe suite
    ms office
    pages, numbers, keynote

never had any problem, never seen a glitch or too slow, glad I bought the iGPU model as I don't need to worry about switching.

9. NocturnalJazz macrumors regular

Chrome often times uses dGPU for me. I think it's caused by the extensions I am running versus chrome itself. I have not noticed one password, but that is also an extension I use in chrome. So maybe.

10. Mac.User macrumors 6502

Chrome triggers it depending on the web page.

11. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Apple should allow users to disable the discrete GPU, or only allow certain programs to trigger it. They usually care so much about battery life, but for some reason they don't mind the GPU firing up for some simple video playback.

12. Mac.User macrumors 6502

It's fine is programs were coding to make use of the API correctly. It's more about that then anything else.

Also it depends on the case. It could be a case that a job may but a heavy load on the intel GPU, but for the dGPU is could be a minor task, and take less power draw.

13. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

They are only in the 15" is that right? What is the difference between the pro and not pro?

14. Mac.User macrumors 6502

15. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

But what does it do? What is the difference between pro and not pro?

16. yjchua95 macrumors 604

The Iris Pro 5200 is way faster than the Iris 5100, because the Iris Pro 5200 has a 128MB eDRAM (L4) cache. The Iris 5100 does not.

17. RandomCitizen macrumors member

I've had the Iris Pro model for 9 days now. I think I'm taking it back next week. In VMWare with Windows 7 and also in PDFpen Pro, the integrated graphics get choppy. I think the Iris Pro is good for browsing and running standard utilities and apps, like 1Password, mail apps, task apps, and so forth. When you do any graphics to any moderate degree, it's time for a dGPU.

18. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I suppose if I need to ask it can't be affecting me too much can it?