Question for rMBP owners on storage

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TweakyDragon, Jun 26, 2012.

1. TweakyDragon macrumors newbie

I have been looking for a while now at getting a MBP and now that the updates are here and people have had them in hand for a little bit I can't wait to get mine.

I am now split between the rMBP and the MBP. My only main concern is the storage space on the new rMBP. I would really like to make the switch to SSD as the main failure point for my previous laptops has been the HDD. I currently have a couple of 1 TB USB 3 externals that I use for storing all of my movies and a backup of my music collection and other misc. software. But I only have a USB 2 laptop and have been away from my USB 3 desktop for months and have yet to see the performance benifits of USB 3.

The only major thing I need space for on the local disk its self is a copy of Windows 7 either bootcamped or VMed. Gotta have it for a few apps and testing. I have almost switched entirely to Spotify on my laptop any way so I don't need that huge chunk of data on my local machine. I have also been using Dropbox, Google Drive, and SkyDrive more often but don't always have solid internet connections so I think of these as niceties that are great when you have then but not so much when you have no net.

So my question comes down to this. With other storage options available out there, USB 3 externals and in the "cloud", has the 256GB limit been a problem for anyone out there?

Also I know I could spend the extra money to get the upgraded rMBP, I don't know that I can budget out an extra ~$600 for more SSD storage.

Thanks for the input guys!

2. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

256GB is loads if you're only storing applications natively

3. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately it's going to take a some time to see how people use their SSD space.

For me I'm getting the 768gb version, because I use Bootcamp with programs like Maya, MudBox, and UDK. Mudbox can use a lot of space depending on how big my texture files etc. Having lots of photos and music on the mac side will obviously take up a good chunk as well. I got the 768gb more for peace of mind because I know it's going to be awhile for me to fill that sucker up lol.

The way I see it is that I can't just be lazy with my files, this computer Will force me to be more organized with my files and make I sure I keep what I need and trash what I don't. I think once people really start to get comfortable with these machines they will see it the same way.

That's really the best advice at this point. If your second guessing the 256gb version then I say go for the 512gb for that extra peace of mind and just make sure to keep your system organized.

4. nicklasmp macrumors member

I will be watching this one closely, i'm in the same situation as you, however i have ordered the 256 gigs one. I've lived with 3 external hdds for the past many years, and should be able to continue with that. :)

5. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I've ordered the 512 GB option, with a Promise Pegasus R4 for my data stuff.

Everyone has different storage needs so I am not sure how anyone else's situation may help to influence your buying decision though.

Whether you opt to store your data on the computer or external drives, make sure that you have a backup of everything.

6. tillsbury macrumors 65816

A while back I bought a cheap usb3 drive caddy and shoved a 3tb drive in it, works lovely for backups of my main windows machine. I intend to use it on the rmbp too. Not quite as quick as an internal but quick enough. Could easily use it as a main drive, usb3 is so much quicker than usb2.

7. blackeagle macrumors newbie

How do you backup your data on the Pegasus R4?

8. Dronac macrumors member

I'm going for the 256GB version. While I have well over 500 GB used on my desktop, that's mostly HD movies. I only need 50GB atm for my iTunes library, and far less for actual laptop needs. I may get a small external drive to supplement my MBPr, and am already planning on building a personal cloud server to keep most of my movies on. Droping $600 on 256GB of more storage just isn't worth it to me, but I do want the speed boost of using a SSD.

9. NightStorm macrumors 68000

Does anyone know of a stylish bus-powered USB 3.0 hard drive? I wouldn't mind having something to keep in my bag just in case I need more storage than the internal 256GB SSD.

10. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

I always like LaCie portable hard drives.
    Though this time around I bought a western digital because it was a bus powered 2.5" 2tb USB 3 hdd