Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ducatiti

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 18, 2011
Do your pentalobe screws look untouched or it shows definite signs of wear or the "looks" of being stripped after your Genius bar appointment?

Sorry in advance for creating another thread but my concerns here are different and may base my decision based on your responses here. I just don't want Apple ding me or blame me for tampering with the system and don't want to have further issues.

Cancelled
Jun 18, 2012
Do your pentalobe screws look untouched or it shows definite signs of wear or the "looks" of being stripped after your Genius bar appointment?

Sorry in advance for creating another thread but my concerns here are different and may base my decision based on your responses here. I just don't want Apple ding me or blame me for tampering with the system and don't want to have further issues.

They look untouched, but I would assume the detection material on the screws (the blue stuff, if they do actually use it), would show it had been removed.

However, if you book an appointment and get a case number, then you have a record of Apple doing the work. They then cannot accuse you of opening the MBP yourself and therefore invalidating the warranty.

Sound Evolution

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands

In my case the creaking is caused by using to long screws at the middle part (at the vents) of the bottom cover. They can't be tightened and it doesn't hold the bottom in place. Hence flexing and creaking.

Apple told me I can't replace/tighten the screws myself, that it will void my warranty. Therefor my only option they gave me was, send it back and get a replacement. Awesome service! ;)

JMike50

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2012
They look untouched, but I would assume the detection material on the screws (the blue stuff, if they do actually use it), would show it had been removed.

However, if you book an appointment and get a case number, then you have a record of Apple doing the work. They then cannot accuse you of opening the MBP yourself and therefore invalidating the warranty.

I don't know if Apple uses the "blue stuff" either but the blue stuff one typically sees on a screw isn't a detection material. It's called Loctite and it is designed to keep the screws from accidentally backing themselves out over time. It comes in different colors signifying different locking strengths.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.