Question for someone switching to AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Matto1020, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Matto1020 macrumors member

Matto1020

So I am currently with Sprint but just found out I am eligible for discounts through ATT and plan to switch in time for a new iphone.

My question is, can I make the switch now, get one of their free phones, then once the iPhone comes out (in three weeks) can I just pay the $200 to upgrade to it?

2. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Wouldn't you not be eligible for the upgrade because you have a non-iPhone?

3. ViPa macrumors 6502a

from what it seems like at this point, if you choose another device now, you'll be stuck with it and will not be able to get the iphone..what you can do is get another phone and return it within 30 days before the iphone comes out

4. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Yeah, AT&T hasn't made clear what will happen in your situation. They have not yet announced an "unsubsidized" price, which is what you would be paying. There's plenty of speculation running from "everyone will get the $199 price" to "it's going to be just like any other phone -- you only get the subsidized price once you're eligible".

It's unclear what the unsubsidized price would be, but typically it's $150-200 higher than the subsidized price.

On the old iPhone your strategy would work -- you would get the free phone plus be able to get the iPhone at the same price as everyone.