Question for Sony RX100 mk2 users

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by AppleHater, Jun 20, 2015.

1. AppleHater macrumors 6502a

I have a question on RX100 mk 2 as I'm debating between mk 2 and mk 3.

I know mk2 has a lens that goes 28-100 and f1.8-4.9. Could someone with mk2 tell me what's the longest zoom at 2.8 before going higher please?

2. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

By 1.7X mine has shifted to f/3.2
    By 2.9X, to f/3.5
    By 2.3X, to f/4
    By 2.8X, to f/4.5
    By 3.5X, to f/4.9

3. Gofre macrumors regular

According to DPReview it drops from 2.8 to 3.2 at 43mm.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-cybershot-dsc-rx100-m2/6

4. AppleHater thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

You can let the editing app deal with it. If I'm going to use FCP X I just point it either at the RX100 connected via USB, or more commonly I point it to where I've downloaded the contents of the RX100's flash card. If I don't know whether I'm going to use FCP X or Avid MC then I just download the card contents and worry about it later. Later I might use another app for transcoding -- whatever. There are many ways to handle this task.

If you're worried about how Macs handle AVCHD, don't be. It's not going to be a problem.

6. AppleHater thread starter macrumors 6502a

So basically I need to convert every movie? With mov or MP4 home videos I just keep them as individual files whereas AVCHD is a directory that I need to save per batch?

7. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

Probably you should explore the whole AVCHD matter outside of this thread. There's a lot of material out there. It's the nature of AVCHD -- regardless of platform -- to exist in a folder structure. It's not a Mac issue. But the short answer to your question is yes. If you want to have a single standalone file that contains the clip in question, you need to rewrap or transcode. But again, this is the nature of AVCHD.

8. Mildredop macrumors 68020

The mk4 is out soon. Why not just wait for that one?

9. AppleHater thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't feel $1000 for a point and shoot is right. Mark 3 seems pricy enough and still wondering if Mark 2 is good enough

10. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

You haven't talked about what you want to do with it. If you're just going to shoot this and that, maybe make some casual videos -- yeah, it's probably overkill. But I can tell you that I normally shoot with a Nikon D810, and when I leave it home and take the RX100 I know I'm giving up a lot in terms of the range of focal lengths I have to work with, but (because I shoot Sony RAW) I'm not giving up a huge amount of IQ.

It's all up to you. Nobody here is going to try to convince you to buy the RX100, least of all me. You started out asking a technical question, rather than "is the RX100 right for me?"

11. AppleHater thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have a D750 and I don't like the autofocusing for movies. Also, I like smaller camera when I take movies. I have Nikon One J3 and while it's pretty snappy little camera the low light performance leaves a lot to desire for both photos and movies.

It's for shooting movies for family events which is often indoor with not-so-ideal lighting condition. I don't expect RX100 whichever version to rival D750's low light performance. But, I want it to produce a great movie footages even in ISO1600 situations.

12. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

Got it. I'll poke around and see if I have any RX100 low-light material. I hear you about "not-so-ideal lighting."

Also, now I understand why you wanted to know the aperture fall-off with zoom.