Question for Sprint iPhone Users.... Is it slow? Yes or no?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by americanGTA, Oct 16, 2011.

?

Is your SPRINT iPhone data speed slow?

1. Yes! and I am pissed!

35 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. No! I have no idea what all the hoopla is about!

21 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. americanGTA, Oct 16, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2011

americanGTA macrumors member

Is your SPRINT iPhone data speed slow? Please post yes or no with your location down below. THANKS!

Lets settle this once and 4all with my poll!

Lets see how big this issue really is.... It would mean a lot to me because it would be my first smartphone and I am having a difficult time deciding between carriers

2. pezasied182 macrumors 6502

I'm in Orange County, CA.

Yes, testing Sprint's speed is extremely slow. Best I've gotten is 2.14 mbps, but I usually get around 0.4-0.8 mbps.

However, in real world application, I have no problem streaming Netflix or Pandora. The only thing I've found to be slow is downloading Apps.

3. dmusicman385 macrumors regular

I have no issues in Long Island NY. It slows at times but every phone does at times (I used to have Verizon). Nothing to cause a ruckus about in my opinion. Loving the phone.

----------

remember when choosing, it depends where you are. AT&T is the fastest by far but by me, the signal is horrific. It wouldn't make sense to go to AT&T for me because when you have no signal, it doesn't matter how fast your phone could go...:apple:

4. ultrahertz macrumors newbie

Sprint 3G speed is *garbage* during the day here in Ann Arbor. At midnight, iphone is giving 0.9 mbps - decent. At 9 am, 0.2 mbps. At 11 am 0.05 mbps - useless. I did a side by side comparison of my sprint iphone and my ipad 3g loading the ann arbor.com website. Ipad 3g att: 15 s; sprint iphone 4 minutes. I've already arranged to return my phones and cancel my contracts. You only really have 3 days to get out without fees.

5. jgalan14 macrumors 6502

No , everything fine here in las Vegas , I usually get 1mbps or more but I have no problems loading pages or listening to pandora

6. ercsliberty macrumors 6502

7. Shaych macrumors newbie

It's slow-ish in Denver. HOWEVER... it is actually usable during the day for pandora and what not... where AT&T in the same spot was basically a dead phone during peak hours. So while slow... it's more usable where I need it than AT&T was. How I envy those that live in good speed areas. :p

8. KittyKatta macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

Slow in Las Vegas. I used that speedtest app and only get .12 but my friends on ATT get 2.0. Also, our Apple Store didnt even get a signal in half the store so we had to walk to the other end for activation. :D

9. Fuchal macrumors 68020

10. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Pretty slow in Tampa. 1.2mbps down, .43mbps up. Sometimes it will peak to below or above 2.0mbps down and around .7 up.

Never had Sprint before and considering switching back to AT&T

11. JNaut macrumors member

I would kill for those speeds. I'm getting a max of 0.2 mbps down in north Alabama.

12. mds macrumors 6502

Mine has been fine. I've been able to do everything I want to do and haven't had any dropped calls.

13. mspman macrumors regular

mspman

I just tested mine at work with a Sprint tower right next to the building. I got .09Mbs download and .06Mbs upload. It's like that pretty much all day. This is totally absurd.

14. drir1990 macrumors member

At home I have speeds at around .10 Mbps but thats not a big deal since I have wifi. Everywhere else I spend my time (school and work) I have an average of around 1.5 Mbps. That's faster than Verizon in those areas so I am very happy. I switched from AT&T for the unlimited data and a cheaper data plan for me and my partner. I knew the data would be slower but it is worth it and plenty fast for me.

15. fedecape macrumors 6502

fedecape

lol.. Here in South America EDGE works faster than 3G, I think it's collapsed.

My best record was 2.0mbps at 4am (a year ago)

16. BizzyLeo macrumors newbie

Yes!

Mine are ridiculously slow! I'm lucky if anything loads in under 20 seconds. Recently I checked my speed using one of those speed measuring apps. I had 0.01 mpbs downloading and 0.0 uploading. I think that that's a new record...

17. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

How will a small percentage of users settle the matter? You aren't going to reach enough people here to do that.

I'm in Seattle and my speeds are fine.

18. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

I'm in central Ohio, and it seems to fluctuate by where I am in the city; downtown Columbus isn't bad at all, but get out and it declines quickly.

At home I have wifi and it's great.

19. icomputered macrumors member

This. I live in Irvine, CA, and Sprint's speeds are on average 0.2 to 0.7 mbps. But, I can sometimes get 1-1.2 mbps. However, real world application isn't so bad, everything works okay, except downloading apps, which takes forever.

20. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I'm in Orange County, CA. The only city/area in O.C. that I've actually used 3G is in the City of Anaheim, and it is really bad. Other than this area, I'm always on wi-fi.

21. beret9987 macrumors regular

Speeds are pretty good here. Usually pull a 1mbps from my house in Harbor Bay, and in Foster City, it's usually the same, but the towers in Foster City have their moments and i'll pull 2.3mbps or something like that.

Meh? It's usually .4-1.5mbps, can't complain too much. Definitely not as fast as it is in the Bay Area, but still plenty usable.

Excellent in Seattle. Works all over UW and Downtown, and generally pulls somewhere around .8-2mbps depending on where I am.

Overall, Sprint offers me pretty good coverage for where I go. It's no speeds like AT&T, but I do enjoy being able to actually make calls in all the place I frequent. Oh, and unlimited data is a plus.

22. Tophersky macrumors member

Out of all the phones I've had with Sprint over the years, this is only the 5th one that even had any capability to use a data plan.

First came the BLADE...slow slow slow POS phone but didn't think anything of it at the time as I had nothing to compare it to. Then came the Instinct....the supposed iPhone killer!! I was not impressed. Then I got the Palm Pre, which was a piece of junk as far as the hardware went, but was pleased with the OS. After my wife destroyed her Pre, she wanted to get the Evo, and with me being a spoiled brat, had to have one too. This was the best phone so far, although the speeds were horrendous. 3G was a joke. 4G was non-existant in most places, but completely killed the battery whenever it was being used. I used it a lot on Wi-fi and sold myself on the fact, that is the only time I would be able to enjoy using the phone, if thre was a wi-fi hotspot to connect to. So, I guess I can say that Sprint does have a pretty slow network overall, but now that I got the iPhone, it is without a doubt the fastest phone that I've owned yet. I can get full 3G speed while sitting at work, which I was never able to do with any other phone. YouTube and browsing is fluid, and I rarely have to wait for anything. I am fully pleased with Sprint now. Anything faster is just a bonus.

23. AppleTech22 macrumors 6502

Works fine, but does anyone know the meaning of the "Extended o" on the top bar where it normally says "Sprint 3G"? This happens at school and this is when I start really slowing down.

24. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

On Sprint that means you're roaming on an extended partner network, so it makes sense that it would slow down.

25. iExpensive macrumors 6502

iExpensive

Ok yes the number are slow. However, in real world application I find it fairing pretty well (also see some data increases scheduled in my area).

Web browsing is fine, app downloading is poor, and youtube videos... well expect the buffer time to be twice the videos length.

Pandora consistently streams without a hiccup, and Spotify as well. Turntable.fm struggles only when in the most populated rooms.