Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raylo32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2018
Looking at the fine print for their basic unlimited plan it says that roaming data is limited to 200 MB. 200 MB roaming ain't much if one is travelling where native network coverage might not be the best. The fine print doesn't say what happens then. Does it simply cut off, or is there an upcharge?

raylo32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2018
Got it, thanks. That is unfortunate.... and far too limited. Looks like I may be headed to big red instead.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Why not go with T-Mobile ONE plan? You're not limited by the amount of data you use abroad. However, speeds are only 3G though.

Five_Oh

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2017
Flyover Country, USA
Why not go with T-Mobile ONE plan? You're not limited by the amount of data you use abroad. However, speeds are only 3G though.
I think he was inquiring about domestic roaming.

No limit on international, as long as a majority of activity is domestic.

However, there is a limit to domestic roaming, as is the case with most carriers if they even allow it.

raylo32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2018
Exactly, I am talking about the ONE plan and it is 200 MB domestic roaming limit that is the problem. The thing that gives me pause is that this doesn't seem enough roaming data for a carrier that is still in the "building out" phase and might not have the best coverage. I am not so concerned at home and work where everyone has good coverage anyway and I always have access to a PC or Wifi. It's when you go out into the hinterland and can't get a Google map or whatever.

I think he was inquiring about domestic roaming.

No limit on international, as long as a majority of activity is domestic.

However, there is a limit to domestic roaming, as is the case with most carriers if they even allow it.

Five_Oh

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2017
Flyover Country, USA
I'm not sure what area of the country on which you live or travel, but FWIW I've have pretty good luck with moderate travel using TMO.

The only place I've had to roam (and ran out) was in South Dakota this summer. One thing you can do, at least for nav, is download an area map before going into an unknown area.

raylo32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2018
Yeah, we went to Yellowstone park this summer and I downloaded the offline maps. I have AT&T phone from work and it didn't have much coverage. Only VZ had a little but mostly a black hole out there. I am more worried just in local rural areas with no time to plan. I am going with VZ... they have for now a lot wider LTE coverage and I get a veteran's discount. I did like the T-Mobile benefit of the GoGo service but such is life. That's not a real big deal.

I'm not sure what area of the country on which you live or travel, but FWIW I've have pretty good luck with moderate travel using TMO.

The only place I've had to roam (and ran out) was in South Dakota this summer. One thing you can do, at least for nav, is download an area map before going into an unknown area.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015
I think Google's Project Fi is the best cell plan out there. Gives you high-speed service when traveling internationally, too, without an extra fee.

T-mobile's throttled international service blows. You have to pony up $50 to get a measly 500MB of high-speed with them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.